Vuescan problem: picture looks underexposed

Hello,

I'm having the most frustrating scanning problem with Vuescan

(latest version) and my LS-40 (Coolscan IV ED).

I'm scanning a negative strip, all of the same subject in similar

lighting conditions. However, frame 2 will not scan. Frame 1 is

fine, frame 3 is fine too. But frame 2 looks like attached.

I've had this same problem on other strips, with one or two frames

looking like this, the rest being fine. Film is Fuji Superia 800,

using GENERIC neg type in VueScan.

What's going on here?

Another problem I encounter with Vuescan is that on some strips it

doesn't align the first frame properly. I've played with the

alignment slider to no avail. Again, in NikonScan it's fine.

I prefer Vuescan because of the better colour obtained, so wish to

eliminate these problems if possible!

Many thanks.<div>003nSs-9592484.jpg.cb41d31d99e834e7695dac6be47cec97.jpg</div>

John - I've had weird things like the above happen as well. Usually happens when the frame is misaligned, and the algorithms are trying to color correct based upon a lot of film base. Anyway, my suggestion is to first go to Color:Color Balance and change that to neutral or none and see what happens.

Secondly, on the filmstrip alignment - welcome to the club. Every strip I scan I have to preview the first two frames and then make a guess at alignment (Device:Frame Offset). I usually start with a value of 2, and end up with anywhere from -2 to +4.

Good luck.

Are you using 64bit scanning on input? I hit some similar issues with Vuescan (my images turn blue). The problem went away when I backed down to 48bit.

You can also try Device, Lock Exposure and set to 2.8 or 2.9. This also helped (advice from Ed Hamrick, the author).

Hope that helps.

Gene

I've tried all of the above suggestions - thanks.

Here are my results:

Alignment is now fine, turns out I was being a bit too overzealous with the slider. Some strips are fine, and I can leave this at 0, but most of the time I need to fiddle. No big deal.... but.....

Regarding the scan problem - still the same problem! I've tried other strips and they're all fine. The frame before and after this one are fine. It's just this frame (on this particular strip) it doesn't like! Even in 16-bit greyscale mode, it turns out like this, in the preview and the main scan. Looking at the frame with the naked eye, I see no difference between this frame and the others.

I'm at a loss. I've had to scan this frame using NikonScan and fiddle with the colour balance etc in Photoshop to approximate the colour I would have got from Vuescan. Not ideal!

Any other ideas?

PS. I take it you need to use 64-bit RGBI mode to use the infrared clean filter? The documention is not clear on this.<div>003nYT-9596884.jpg.15bf592f392a8d41bf279cea384ae8e8.jpg</div>

• 2 months later...

<i>PS. I take it you need to use 64-bit RGBI mode to use the infrared clean filter? The documention is not clear on this.</i>

<p>

No you don't need the fourth channel (16 bits x 4). That's just for those who want to manually spot their images. I don't have the inclination so I use 48 bit files and just let Vuescan do the spotting.