VueScan and Scanning 120 with the Nikon 9000 is a JOKE

I wonder if anyone else is using the ViewScan Pro with a Nikon 9000Ed. I just

bought VueScan, as IntelMacs with CS3 and NikonScan are at least 5 years behind

the times.

So... if you plan to scan 120 film w/ the provided holder from Nikon, then

you're in for a surprise. Let me paint a picture.. I just shot a wedding, and

with one camera, using 120 Provia. 14 rolls of film. The batch scan of all my

35mm went off flawlessly. Then came time to scan the 120.

The neg is cut in 3's so they can fit the holder. You do a preview...and you

get the first cell perfecetly.. you see a little bit of the second image in the

preview window...but that seems ok for the time being. You then preview image

2...and this is where you go mad. as you're now playing with the input offset,

and input frame spacing for what seems like hours.

Here's the rub.. according to VueScan.. *this* is what you have to do with your

$79 software. Last night, it took me 4 hours to scan 9 120 images.

<br><br>

Today.. I took the neg to work, and used the same setup in our art department

using Silverfast. 150 images in 90min... why so fast? ..well, cause I didn't

have to calculate exact pixel offsets for each slide, and was able to batch

scan..and preview.

So... emailed VueScan, and this is what was sent back to me:<br><br>

<i>

Hi Joel,

I'm pretty sure you can solve this problem by using the

"Input|Frame spacing" and "Input|Frame offset" options.

Then use the "Input|Frame number" option to select which

frame to preview and scan.

Regards,

Ed Hamrick</i>

<br><br>

Problem not solved.. just a new one introduced. Has anyone dealt with this

before? Even in their adds, they boast the image detection from the tray that

is in the scanner. This is where I ask you all for help, or if you have a

better work around, instead of moving a slider 5pixels...testing the

preview...oppps.. too far... 4 pixels...mmm, guess that'll do. For $79... I"m

sure he can have a better solution. Agree??

Do I buy SilverFast for $500!? ..is it worth it?

I'm sorry send bad press, but this is just a shame.

I had the same problems with VueScan and medium format on the Nikon 9000. I scan using Nikon Scan and do batch scanning of medium format with no problems. I also batch scan 35mm with Nikon Scan. Maybe you should invest more time learning how to use Nikon Scan.

If you keep responding to Ed and providing concrete examples of how VS is and isn't working he generally does fix it. Don't give up.

Cropping is a major problem with VS and my scanner and I get around it by scanning with cropping set to "maximum" and fixing it in Photoshop. That may not be feasible with 120 film given the file size.

Robert.. NikonScan, CS3, and Intel Mac's go together like cat food and Jello.

Trust me, I've tried all that can be done with Nikonscan on my system, and there is no plan from Nikon to have an update that supports the Intel Mac platform. That was straight from the horses mouth at Nikon.

I have two options.. VueScan, or Silverfast. If you can get Nikon scan working on your Intel mac.. then you are a man with far greater skill and patience than I. ;)

thanks for the help... and I will bug Nikon (again)

J

Roger, yeah, I've been going back and forth with Ed. It just seems strange that his image detection works on all other formats.

I hope he gets to it. I sent him screen snaps of my workflow...so I hope that helps. we'll see!

thanks for the input!

j

I have been using Vuescan, LS9000, PhotoshopCS2&3, G5 with 120 film without a problem

for a couple years now.

The trick is as Ed pointed out is to use Frame Spacing. It takes a couple of passes to get the

drift of it, use minus numbers. -30 to -60 is the range I use. I even scan 35mm using the

120 glass carrier and Frame Spacing with great results, flat as pancake. The trick again is to

get a feel for the Frame Spacing and

when to do there is nothing to it. BTW, I never ever touch the software from Nikon, try it

once years ago and..................

Joel, do not despair. I have been through this already. The solution is simple, you have to se the frame offset to -40 (minus 40), and then everything falls into place... I find Vuescan to be a good software for best result tweaking, but you benefit if you stick to same film and scanning parameters, thus avoiding each time the complete fine tuning of all variables.

Joel, I use a PC, so don't have the problems relative to an unsupported system. I also scan only in the standalone mode with Nikon Scan and make all corrections in Photoshop CS2 (have not upgraded to CS3 yet). I plan on upgrading my PC and operating system this year and am also concerned about Nikon Scan with the new hardware/software. I have not experience with a Mac.

Marek...

thank you. This was clearly not a case of RTFM, when there is no FM to read that explain anything. I guess there's a huge spread between an $80 software scanning package, and $500 one. :)

thanks again.. the -40 did the trick.

• 1 year later...
I have had a very similar response from Mr. Hamrick. In fact, your response was a vast improvement over mine. I gave him details, and his response waqs pretty much "suck it up and work with it". As I had just purchased his software, I immediately removed it from my computer an d got a refund. I for one am sick and tired of software producers whose main aim is to SELL their product, with very little or no support. Alexander Scott

"I have two options.. VueScan, or Silverfast. If you can get Nikon scan working on your Intel mac.. then you are a man with far greater skill and patience than I. ;) "

Or you could set up a dual boot and scan using Widows.

I use Nikon Scan on a PC and make linear 16 bit scans to capture maximum information. I then make all negative inversions and color corrections with ColorNeg, a Photoshop plug-in. It costs less than $70, so it's a lot less expensive than Silverfast. But, then again, I didn't have to buy a copy of Windows to set up a dual boot. A few scans are here:

http://www.photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00MRuZ

• 1 year later...

<p>I know it is a long time since the last entry, which also means that OS X is now upgraded to 10.6.2 and I am ashamed to admit that I am using NikonScan with Snowleopard and CS3 for my LS9000 WITHOUT any problems on a brand new iMac, not even those mentioned by Nikon like "Scanner not found when turned on AFTER starting the computer" and so and so on. (Only had to get a Firewire 800 to 400 reduction cable.) I find the software simple and efficient, the options for enhancement sufficient and useful.<br>

I had Silverfast Studio with my Epson Scanner, but I am not ready to pay about 500 EUR for little more options than those available in NikonScan.<br>

On the other hand I tried to use Vuescan with the rotable Nikon single frame glas holder FH-869GR (sorry, I'm german) and it didn't even produce a preview (that's why I came to read tgis entry).<br>

So I'll stick with NikonScan - do Scans for free and finish them with PS.<br>

With best from Germany - Hartmut Wirks</p>

• 4 weeks later...

Joel,

I can understand what you are passing through with Vuescan. I bought it in 2004, use it twice and there it is somewhere

deep on my hard drive, I just gave up with that pixel/offset issue with 120 slides. I used Nikonscan without problems untill I

bought Intel-based Mac. Following uncounted nights spent on how to make it work on Intel Mac once again I gave up,

istalled Nikonscan on my good old G4 which I'm using just for scanning while fast Intel Mac for editing. I don't think this is of

any help to you, it is just where software and hardware makers are pushing all of us in these days. Less value for more

bucks, as already stated here by Alexander who mentioned he is getting sick and tired of it. I would add it is also sad and

humilating how little appreciation to consumer software manufacturers actually has today. Just example of Vista fiasco

obligating you to buy Windows 7 instead is a shining example. Only what matter is your money.

• 1 month later...

<p>This topic ( batch scanning of medium format film with VueScan and a Nikon LS scanner) has been a constant subject of discussion and aggravation for years. While I cannot speak about the LS-9000 I can certainly say that batch scanning of medium format film on the LS-8000 turns out to be remarkably easy and effective. I did not discover the "secret" for successful batch scanning, but got it directly from Ed Hamrick. His statement to me was:<br>

"It's a simple fix - use "Input | Frame spacing" - use a ruler to measure the distance between the beginning of the first frame and the beginning of the second frame. <br>

Note that it is is Frame SPACING, not Frame OFFSET! For the 6x4.5 ratio the value for the Spacing parameter that I have used is 48 +/- 2 mm, and for 6x6, 64 +/- 2mm. With those values I get for a strip of 6x4.5 images four distinct frames and for the 6x6 ratio three distinct frames. <br>

So, set VueScan for Batch mode (All or List), set the appropriate Frame SPACING value, click on Preview, and when the previews are done, yes, you will probably have to adjust the crop frame (not a big deal!) for each picture frame. Finally just click on Scan. Considering all of the frustration about this subject (including on my part as well) the recommended method worked perfectly.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Joel -Just upgraded to Windows 7 64 bit - and Nikon is not upgrading there coolscan 9000 software.<br>

Got Vuescan and after many weeks of trying to scan my 645 negs with little success as far as alignment - YOU SAVED THE DAY. THANK YOU. </p>

• 2 months later...

<p>Thanks to everybody who contributed their answers, it helped me out of a production jam.<br>

My current settings for scanning 6x6 are:<br>

under INPUT:<br>

FRAME OFFSET: -5<br>

FRAME SPACING: 60<br>

BATCH LIST: 1,2,3<br>

I'll post any relevant developments on batch scanning 6x9s in the near future.</p>

• 2 years later...