Vuescan and Chromogenic Film

<p>In the archives here and elsewhere I have found information on scanning this type of film (Kodak brand), such as its grain and usability of digital ice. But can anyone recommend a workflow or set of recommended settings for getting consistent results? I am using pro version of Vuescan and a Nikon Coolscan V scanner. I do my post-processing in Lightroom. All suggestions appreciated. Thanks.</p>

<p>I use Vuescan and Kodak's BW400CN film a good bit. Other than making sure you set Vuescan to grayscale output, and turn on light, medium or heavy ICE depending on how dirty your negatives are, the default settings should be a good starting point. Setting the brightness and the black and white points can improve contrast and exposure. One nice thing about Vuescan is that once you have the setting defined you can save it and reuse it.</p>

<p>As Patrick said, except, I do not set VueScan to greyscale output (<em>doesn't that reduce the output to a single Grey channel, instead of RGB or RGBA?</em>). I set it to Color Negative, and use the Kodak T400CN profile (practically the same film, also C41 B&W; this profile does a lot to remove the colour cast of this film) on the colour tab; output files with the maximum possible bit depth and resolution. Results I've had so far are completely consistent.<br>

As for final steps, I do take the scans into my RAW editor (CaptureOne, quite similar to Lightroom) for cropping out the edges and add the sharpening (in vuescan, I have sharpening turned off). Practically I could do all the other editing there as well, but well, I don't do that much :-)</p>

<p>Aside from my not using ICE or any such, I am with Patrick and especially with Wouter on using a color profile. I haven't yet tried the Kodak chromogenic, being so happy with Ilford XP2.<br>

VueScan seems to work just fine for me.</p>

<p>Something to keep in mind:</p>

<p>Vuescan does NOT use ICE. Vuescan's a great program, I use it a lot, I'll use it's cleaning (that utilizes the infrared data from the scanner, similarly to ICE). But it is not ICE, and I've found it's really not as effective. It's ok, especially if the cleaning is minor, but...</p>

<p>ICE is typically bundled with an infrared scanner's official software.</p>

<p>ICE, FARE? They all work pretty much the same way and <em>ICE</em> has become shorthand for any blur-and-artifact-inducing reduction of dust program.</p>

<p>Just like "fridge" no longer means Frigidaire®. Most of us just grab a kleenex, without worrying about which facial tissue producer makes it, and Kleenex™ defends that one.</p>

• 3 weeks later...