Vuescan/4990 B&W settings

<p>Using a 4990 with latest version of Vuescan to scan a variety of B&W negative film types with a wide range of density ranges. Question: with the "Color" drop down dialogue box, option "B&W Brand" (when selecting TMAX-100 only), you get another option box, "B&W type", with a series of various settings, ranging from "D-76 CI=40" to "D-76 CI=80", and "TMAX CI = 40" to "TMAX CI = 80". Choosing any of these settings alters the look of both the image on the preview screen and the look and shape of the histogram displayed. Obviously, after experimenting at length with various negative types, these choices are to taylor the scan to a specific developer type or density range of the particular B&W negative, and sharply change the shape of the histogram. I have not been able to find a more detailed explanation of these various options and would like to know if I'm selecting the proper one. Can anyone shed some light on these "...CI = 40 to 80" selections? </p>

<p>I suppose the "proper one" is the one that gives <em>you</em> the best results. But I know what you're saying, a better understanding will help you choose the best starting point. Here's a page I found that talks about ci. Maybe it will help you.</p>

<p>http://www.tpub.com/content/photography/14208/css/14208_55.htm</p>

<p>Peter<br /><br /></p>