VR vs IS

coolmingli

I tried the Nikon 70-200 VR on my D2Xs the other day, I don?t think the VR is

as effective as the Canon?s 70-200 IS, I know it is working, I heard the

clicks, and the frame does freeze.

However it is just not as efficient as Canon?s IS. Can someone has used both

lenses tell me if this is normal or I got a bad copy? I only have one VR lens

at the moment, thanks!

Mitchell, I was on a recent trip, and someone used the Canon 100-400 IS handheld held ALL the time - now, I did not get to examine his images closely but he seemed pretty happy with them and that is one BIG lens! Wondered if you could do the same with any large Nikon VR..... but I do not know of any objective tests.

hi Mitchell ...

so, you've used a Canon body with a comparable Canon IS lens? and what is your experience with the images from it?

i use the 70-200 VR on a D70s/D80/D200 and find it to be a great performer - i use it specifically at sporting events. are you sure you have it set correctly (i.e., 'active' versus 'normal')?

could you explain what you mean that a Canon IS is more "sticky"?

regards, michael

I've used both the Nikon 80-400 VR and the Canon 100-400 IS. These are both earlier

generation VR/IS systems than the N & C 70-200/2.8 lenses, but my impression was that

there was little difference in stabilization.

The Nikon lens had a VR mode in which stabilization only worked during exposure, so you

wouldn't see the effect in the viewfinder (apparently, some users reported 'vertigo' from

the stabilization seen through the viewfinder). In Canon, IS is either fully on or fully off

and when it's on it's easy to see the effect through the viewfinder.

I think you have to judge how well stabilization works from the images, not from what you

see in the viewfinder.