VR on 70-300 Nikkor in horizontal versus vertical camera position.

frank_skomial

<p>Just got the 70-300/VR Nikkor lens and trying to test the lens limitations and usability, when used NOT on a tripod.</p>

<p>From reviews it was a good lens. Somehow, (how unwisely), I expected results on par with the 300/4 or 300/2.8 Nikkors, and VR on par with the 70-200/VR.</p>

<p>The lens is good if I can afford the 1/500 or faster on D300S or D700. The "normal" VR works well in slower speeds on camera in horizontal position, but turning the camera to vertical position provides much less desirable VR effect and more likely motion blured pictures.<br>

Since VR has 2 rotating elements, one guarding horizontal motion, and one guarding vertical motion vibrations, the question is: <strong>should I turn the VR to "Active"mode when the camera is in vertical position?</strong>.</p>

<p>I understand that the horizontal mode and Normal VR allows camera panning movement, that is the vertical vibrations are reduced, but horizontal movement is allowed, and the Normal VR does not fight the panning action.</p>

<p>However, when the camera is in vertical position and VR left in Normal, then the axis of guarded vibration are switched, what was vertical becomea horizontal and vice versa. This could indicate that vertical vibrations are not reduced as well in vertical position and Normal VR mode?</p>

<p>I never had this apparent difference on the 70-200/2.8, but this is just a different lens.</p>

<p>What is your opinion, or answer to the queation in bold letters?</p>

<p>Hi Frank,<br>

In my experience, the Active VR mode on the 70-300 actually seems to induce unwanetd motions in my photos. Plus I understand there is no panning support for it.</p>

<p>In answer to your question, no. I leave mine on normal no matter what the orientation. I want auto panning detection, and am not shooting on a platform with high vibrations.</p>

<p>Also, I only have the 300/4 AF-s and 70-200VR1, the 70-300 is very good for the price, but the 300/4 is at a whole different league when compared to the 70-300VR; your 300/2.8 I am certain will take things even further.</p>

<p>VR wise, I personally find the VR on the 70-200, old as it is to be far more... solid. Then again, the 70-200 has a shorter max focal length, with the possibility of faster shutter speeds so..... ymmv.</p>

<p>Regards,<br>

Alvin</p>

<p><em>"...vertical position provides much less desirable VR effect and more likely motion blured pictures."</em> What shutter speeds are you talking about? What do you mean by less 'less desirable VR'? I have not noticed a difference but have not extensively tested the lens in this manner.</p>

<p><em>"panning movement"</em> I don't believe you should have VR on when panning, nor is there likely a need to have it on.<br /><br /><br>

<em>"answer to the queation in bold letters"</em> Good question... My initial thought is no. But perhaps you do an experiment with the lens and let us know. </p>

<p><em><br /></em></p>

<p>@Elliot: Normal VR mode has auto panning detection, and stabilizes only in one direction, shutting off the stabilizers in the direction of the pan. Active mode otoh attempts to kill all movement.</p>

<p>Regards,<br>

Alvin</p><div>00WtZo-261511584.jpg.50b4c8a6e6584f51f78e3c5bb7ba14f6.jpg</div>

<p>In response to what I am understanding , this is a two fold question. A faster shorter focal length lens will always give you more depth of field. Digital cameras, even now, have always had a DOF issue compared to film. Sooooooooo you have 2 variables in this particular equation. Vibration is one problem....vertical vs hortizontal.........active or normal and the lens you are using. F2.8 will always always be better than anything more than that. Focal distance and speed of the lens makes all the difference when cropping in......................and then you still might have to tweak a little. Oh, and remember Light is also a big factor, if not the main. Experiment using the same variables and changing one at a time to see what works better for you.</p>

<p> </p>