VOIGTLANDER PROMINENT 50MM

I've never seen a Prominent with 50/3.5 Skopar - but evidently they do exist. I prefer the Ultron.

Voigtlander Prominent

With regards to the 50mm, f/3.5 Skopar - if it as well designed at the unit focusing 50mm, f/2.8 version - which was fitted to the later Vitomatic and Bessamatics - it's very good lens. Both the Vitomatic and Bessamatic were like the Prominent also behind-the-lens leaf shutter cameras.

The first image below shows a close up exposure with the f/2.8 on a Vitomatic IIa in as close as I could get the camera to focus.

49549129647_b99685924a_b.jpg

Second exposure is with DKL mount f/2.8 50mm Skopar

49576007478_bb2785b894_b.jpg

• Like 3
Best Regards - Andrew in Austin, TX

I think it is impossible to define "best" since each lens has its own character. I really like all 50mm Voigtlander lenses (despite their camera). My personal favorite is 50/2 Ultron on Vitessa barndoor, which is razor sharp and romantic at the same time. 50/1.5 Nokton on Prominent has its unique OoF rendering that could be wonderful sometimes. And 50/2.8 Skopar on Bessamatic can be sharp and pleasant too. All have their own appeal, in my opinion. Here are a few examples, Ultron, Nokton, and Skopar.

17064400968_00f587aa06_c.jpg

Tea house by Zheng, on Flickr

12146561983_5668349e3f_c.jpg

Spring is here? by Zheng, on Flickr

25416803110_18f23bb977_c.jpg

Cherry blossom by Zheng, on Flickr

• Like 4

Anyone agree?

Wow. This sort of question, or at least some kind of answer for it, is only possible with the internet.

I didn't expect, even here, to see any answers, but :)

Now, I'll go back to trying to repair one of my many failed copies of the M42 Meyer Domiplan.

• Like 2

I like Bruce_z's anssweer. Each has it'S own characterits and given the situation might give a better, or better said, different rendition of the scene. I have the Skopar on various 35mm, but only one MF. I find it'S performance very god as a Tessar type . Good for landscapes and the 2.8 is ok for some low light situations, The Ultron which I have only the one copy, on the Vitomatic IIIb ? is a great Gaussian lens and performs like that . It'S a felxible lens and performs well in many situations. Never had the Nokton it is only available for the Prominent? I mean the historical one. So no real experience, can only imagine the bokeh is good ..mainly becasue of the tremndous speed.

I like Bruce_z's anssweer. Each has it'S own characterits and given the situation might give a better, or better said, different rendition of the scene. I have the Skopar on various 35mm, but only one MF. I find it'S performance very god as a Tessar type . Good for landscapes and the 2.8 is ok for some low light situations, The Ultron which I have only the one copy, on the Vitomatic IIIb ? is a great Gaussian lens and performs like that . It'S a felxible lens and performs well in many situations. Never had the Nokton it is only available for the Prominent? I mean the historical one. So no real experience, can only imagine the bokeh is good ..mainly becasue of the tremndous speed.

I believe the Nokton was also made with M Mount for Leica. It does indeed have lovely bokeh.