Voigtlander Perkeo Jammed Shutter and Timer

<p>Earlier this evening I was checking the operation of a recently acquired Voigtlander Perkeo camera. The camera features the pronto shutter. Shutter speeds 1/25 - 1/200 seemed right to me. I wanted to check the timer, so I charged the shutter and moved the timer lever to the left. When I pressed the shutter release, nothing happened. Both the timer lever and the shutter lever remained fixed in the set position. Jammed. Rather than force anything, I was hoping someone on this forum might be able to tell me how to release the timer and shutter. Thanks. Bill</p>

<p>On most folding cameras you can release the shutter by moving the shutter release lever on the shutter assembly. However, this is not possible on some cameras where there is a "fixed link" between the levers from the shutter button to the shutter lever.<br>

Also, it is not unlikely that the timer mechanism is gummed up. The timer very probably was not used too much during the last decades. If you are sure that you can release the shutter (see above and the previous posting) you may gently press the timer lever.</p>

Like Winfried said, work the timer lever back and forth with a little pressure. You should hear the timer ticking away in there. If you can't get it to work you will need to take it apart to clean. If you can get it to buzz with pressure, keep the pressure on until the shutter trips then don't use the timer again until it is cleaned.

<p>Not jammed possibly? Most Voigtlanders of this era have double exposure prevention, and it can be finicky. Open the back. The roller to the right of the film gate has knurled edges and performs the same function as the star wheel in a 35 mm. Give it a few spins in the direction of the film travel and you should hear a click as the double exposure prevention releases. At least that's the way my Perkeo works. </p>

• 3 years later...