voigtlander perkeo i

wmwhee

<p>Do frame numbers on the film backing remain always visible in the small red window on the back of the perkeo i camera? I owned a zeiss mess ikonta that featured a sliding "shutter" that you opened to check frame number and closed after advanicing the film. I would prefer not having to open and close such a shutter. Thanks. Bill </p>

<p>Perhaps not relevant, but ...</p>

<p>I have a Perkeo II. It has a little red window with shutter <em>and</em> auto stop. One sets the advance to "manual," loads the film, advances the film until the number 1 can be seen in the little red window, then closes the window's shutter and switches the advance to "auto". After that, firing the shutter releases the film advance, which locks when the next frame is in position. In other words, shoot, advance film until it stops, and don't worry.</p>

My little 645 Ikonta A fogs everything! I've taken to covering it and trying my own form of "auto" I load the camera to frame 1 in subdued interior light. I tape the window(s) and then use 1and 1/4 to 1 and 1/2 turns. Works OK? But certainly not perfect!

The 645 has two windows, the window on the left is the major leak,fog perpetrator so I occasionally open the tape on the right to verify the alignment.

<blockquote>

<p>Bill Wheeler: "I owned a Zeiss Ikonta that featured a 'sliding shutter' that you opened to check the frame number." <br>

Kent Staubus: "The shutter is there to keep the modern film from fogging in daylight."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Now why would manufacturers build a feature into their cameras that would not be needed for another 50 years? :) Clue 1 we have encountered a flaw in logic.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Mike Gammill: "Also the red goes back to a time when most B&W films were insensitive to red (orthochromatic) so the red window was good protection."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That may have been true for a time prior to 1930 but from 1930 onward Pan film (sensitive to red) was the norm. So, if your camera is built pre-1929, let's say, the statements about Ortho may be valid but, I'm sure. most of the classic camera users are using cameras from the late '30s on up to the '60s. From Wikipeadia comes this edited quote:</p>

<blockquote>

"Panchromatic stock for still photographic plates became available commercially in 1906. But the switch from orthochromatic film was gradual. Kodak introduced a panchromatic film stock in September 1913. Not until prices were equalized by competition in 1926 did pan become used more widely than orthochromatic. Kodak discontinued manufacturing general-purpose orthochromatic film in 1930."

</blockquote>

Ok, so there you have it. Pan film existed earlier and came into use earlier than everyone here seems to believe. Now, folks, please. Let's not spread inaccurate ideas or it will just mess up other users.