Voigtlander Bessa R2. Buy now or wait for replacement model?

I am seriously thinking of making the jump to a Leica compatible RF

system. For budgetary reasons, and because I like the old CLE, I am

thinking about a Bessa R2 body. It can then get pretty much all the

lenses I could want (I don't use many wide lenses, so the depth

thing isn't much of an issue), and have a nice, small, RF camera

with some amazing optics available.

BUT.......

I could get an R2 now, or wait 6 months for the replacement.

Now, I can't think of what I would NEED on the "R3" that the R2

doesn't have. And prices will NOT be dropping on the R2 bodies.

Cosina is very cleverly floating the new body out after they get rid

of most of the R2s.

BUT......

Maybe I am wrong on this.

So does anyone have a suggestion here? Buy or wait? The R2 seems

like a great body since I can drop my cash on the lenses and has

some great reviews. Then again maybe the new body is so much better

I will want to kill myself for buying the R2?

TIA

Wait. It's only 7 weeks until Photokina when the announcemnt will be made. Then you can see what your choice is & decide which one you want. Furthermore, I think that prices on the R2 will drop after the R3 comes out. The prices can stay where they are right now just because there is no alternative. When there is an alternative, that alone will decrease demand for the R2 by splitting the market. In addition, used R2's will go on the market because some owners will want to trade them for the R3's.

Just my 2 cents.

Robert,

Part of your decision is going to require deciding whether you want a "do it all for you"

type of camera (auto everything) or one where you'll need to engage the brain to some

extent (manual).

I can tell you that the R2 is a fine little camera. Sure, there are rumors floating around that

the new model will incorporate the likes of auto-apperture on it. However, most Leica

users use their cameras by adjusting shutter and apperture speeds anyway. Although the

auto-apperture capability can be an advantage under certain situations... it's certainly not

the be all, end all.

In other words, I wouldn't hesitate in suggesting that you go ahead and buy the R2. Down

the road, if you do decide you'd like the newer version... then use the R2 as a secondary

body.

As for optics, you're correct in that they have some great lenses in the lineup...especially

for the price! You can't beat them on the cost-benefits end of things.

Cheers

Buy hexar rf now before they become a cult classic.

AE, 1/4000, flarefree finder, best magnification for 35/28mm,

builtin motor etc...all around $550-650 for a minty.

It's too bad it gets a bad rap. 1/2 the price of a m6, 1/3 price of an

m7. It is undoubtly the best buy for meter compatible M cam

imho.

You all make good points.

The only "auto" anything I use is aperture priority. That is just when I am being lazy. Never use any other automated system. I shoot based on aperture first, then shutter speed 99% of the time.

And I doubt the R2 will drop. They stopped making them in July. Even with the "big intro" in a few weeks, how long until there is an effective roll out? Six months? By then the R2s will mostly be gone. And for the price break on a used body, I doubt I can do much better. Rather have the warranty etc.

Besides, with the R2s and R2c, parts for that body will be around a while.

Also, any word on the body itself? Will it be an R2 body with "new stuff" or a new one?

Leslie,

Sorry to burst the bubble but the Hexar RF is already a cult classic and in increasingly

higher demand NOW.

The collectors in Australia are snapping them up and very few can now be had there. Even

the members in the LHSA there are jumping on the bandwagon and grabbing them all up.

By the way...they sell for US$1,575 there!

There's one Mint condition Hexar RF on ebay at the moment... asking price is a tad bit

high but I'm going down to look at it tomorrow. I suspect that even at his reserve price, it

may prove to be a bargain in the very near future.

Robert,

"And I doubt the R2 will drop. They stopped making them in July. Even with the "big intro"

in a few weeks, how long until there is an effective roll out? Six months? By then the R2s

will mostly be gone. And for the price break on a used body, I doubt I can do much better.

Rather have the warranty etc."

I'm in full agreement with you. People will keep their R2 as a second body. And, at the

price they would sell for on the second hand market...why would they sell it off?

[somebody here will challenge me on this. So, I'd better qualify my comment... "unless

they need the funds to buy a new camera, or they simply have too many cameras, etc, etc]

I keep a 25 Skopar mounted on mine "permanently." I've even taped the finder onto the

hotshoe so that I won't lose it. It's ON THERE permanently.

If I don't want to carry my M6/Hexar RF around (ie: going for a walk down to the grocery

store, etc) I grab the Bessa.

Lastly, if one shoots in "less than desirable neighbourhoods," I'd rather lose my Bessa than

either my M6 or Hexar. So, all in all... it'll be a camera people will keep around because it's

such an inexpensive but functional camera.

Even though I don't think they'll decrease in value all that much...I grant that they probably

won't increase in value either. However, I recognize that there are always exceptions to the

generalities!

Hope this helps in resolving your buying decision.

Cheers