Voigtlander Bessa II viewfinder cleaning

john_lawson

I recently purchased a Voigtlander Bessa II 6x9 folding camera on Ebay

and love the extemely sharp large negs. The viewfinder/rangefinder

optics are very dirty on the inside however and I would like to clean

them. The problem that I'm having is removing the top cover. I don't

see the screws that must be holding the top on. Does anyone know the

removal proceedure or where I could buy a repair manual?

John,

Unless you are an extemely handy guy and have watch maker skills and patience, the few bucks you'll save doing it yourself may not be worth the risk of damaging some delicate unavailable part. I've been tempted to clean the finders in a few older cameras I've owned over the years, but after screwing up the goggles on a 35mm Leica M3 lens, my repair attempts are over. A good shop like Ross Yerkes will do a thorough clean lube and adjust for a small fraction of the cost of the camera.

Good luck if you decide to take it on, and don't force anything!

I found a near mint Bessa II in an antique shop and bought it for $35. Later I sold it for $400. I wish I had it now. That was one a many stupid things I've done in my life. Don't be stupid and try to clean it yourself. I've cleaned the insides of Cononets, and even some SLR's, but I wouldn't even dare try to do it on a Bessa...too precious. Have lots of fun with it...the images you will produce with it will be magnificant. Also, if you do your own b&w printing, try making contacts and mounting them on 5x7 mount board...they're like little gems!

• 8 months later...