Voigtlander 35mm Color Skopar f/2.5 Classic, a good lens?

I have the 35mm/f2.5 Pancake, optically identical but it has a knurled focus ring rather than a focusing lever. The lens is excellent, sharp and with good color rendition. Has a tendancy to flare under angled front sunlight conditions, but a deeper lens hood will fix that. Terrific short focusing throw from close-up to infinity. I'm happy with mine!<div>008ggo-18571584.jpg.25ed80f98b99cd3d9947457b080490b0.jpg</div>

Markus,

I bought the VC 35 classic while saving up for a summicron, and found it to be a compact, sharp little lens - and a bargain in the world of Leica. The only criticism that I would have is that the build quality is certainly less than that of any Leica (and some of the other VC), so if you're used to handling your cron, this will feel a bit cheaper. In the end, though, I've never had a problem with the lens, and I have been impressed with the overall image quality.

I prefer this to the pancake models (although I haven't tried the new one), as it is plenty small, and the focusing tab makes for quick operation. While I used it alot in the beginning, I use it considerably less now as I finally did purchase the Leica lenses that I wanted. However, I don't think I'd sell it, as my M6 with this lens (and included hood/cap) make a nice compact package for those times when I want to carry a Leica, but shooting won't be my primary objective.

One more thing, while it's not a major issue, I would rather not have to use the LTM adapter as it (very rarely) slows down lens change (I keep a VC adapter on the lens at all times) when the lens wants to turn on the threads rather than with the adapter. Can't remember if the PII is an M mount or not, but this would be a (very) slight advantage in my mind.

I kept my little 35mm VC Classic lens even after I bought the 35mm Summicron. I have no complaints about the build quality, the M-mount adapter or much of anything else about the lens. If there's one thing I'm not that fond of, it's the "lens hood". Its sole purpose seems to be to have a place for Voigtlander to put their name and the lens name.

There should be a lot of threads involving this lens here in the Leica Forum archive. I know I've responded to several. General consensus is that it's a fine lens at a bargain price.

Markus, I've had one for over four years -albeit it's now on extended loan to a friend, along with my Bessa R. Optically, it's virtually par with my pre-ASPH Summicron 35; meaning super sharp center and field, _slightly_ softening to the corners. Although I don't shoot slides, color -judging by the one Velvia roll I shot through it for test- seems to me a bit on the warm side. Construction is all right but several notches below Leica. Operation is smooth, both focus as aperture ring, which clicks positively. Mine is silver color, perfect match in tone to my IIIf, and has held vry well to use, however black lenses are painted brass and they do that -brass- very easily. One thing where this lens shines is absence of astigmatism and coma. Also very well corrected for chromatic aberration. I have some shots that I made for a comparo with my summicron but cannot find them right now.

I've used one for about a year on my M2 and IIIg, and I agree with the performance observations of previous posters. I will just add that, if you unscrew the little hood, the leica 12585h and IROOA hoods snap securely onto the exposed threads.