Voigtlander 180/4 APO On A D800?

john_hinkey

<p>Considering this lens for a light weight 200mm-ish landscape lens. My 200/4 AIS has run out of gas on my D800.<br>

I currently have the 90/3.5 CV and I really like it and was hoping that the 180/4 CV would have similar IQ.<br>

<br />Anyone have experience with the CV 180/4 APO on a high MP DSLR body?</p>

<p>Thanks -</p>

<p>John</p>

<p>Was your 200/4 AIS tested on a tripod? I have a 200/4 AI which is pretty sharp. With document film I can get a very high resolution image. Do you think the 200 has sharpness limitations or that it doesn't do as well with a digital camera as with film? </p>

<p>I briefly had the 200mm f/4 in AI and didn't love it on a D800. Haven't tried the Voigtlander 180mm, but have you considered a Nikon 180mm f/2.8? Either the AIS or a newer AF model. That's a very nice lens, does better on high res digital than the 200mm (in my limited experience) and sells for not too much money.</p>

<p>I have this lens and use it often on my D700. It's a terrific lens --- small and light with a close minimum focusing distance, terrific bokeh, wonderfully damped focusing, and great IQ even at f/4. </p>

<p>I also used the lens on a D800E that I rented for a weekend. It performed much better than the Nikon 180mm f/2.8 AF lens on the same camera. I don't have extensive experience with it on a 36 MP body though, only that one weekend.</p>

<p>Thanks guys.<br>

<br />Yes, I've extensively used my 200/4 AIS on tripod and it just does not hold up at 36MP, especially off center. It also has some CA and flare issues. At 12MP it was fine. It really falls apart up close at 36MP.<br>

I used to own the 180/2.8D, but it was no better, and in some cases slightly worse, than my 80-200AFS and not really near my 70-200VRII. <br>

The 180/2.8D was also too large and heavy for my needs (taking my gear into the back country on hikes/backpacking/climbing trips). The 180/2.8ED AIS is nicer, but way too heavy.</p>

<p>John</p>

<p>I too quite liked the little 200mm f/4 Ai on my D700, but I have to agree that it doesn't cut it on a D800. I now use a slightly heavier and bulkier 80-200mm f/4 Ai-S Zoom Nikkor, which works a whole lot better on the D800. Plus it replaces a few other prime focal lengths. The neat little Series E 75-150mm f/3.5 zoom also works extremely well on a D800 if you don't need quite as much reach.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><a href="/photodb/user?user_id=748643">Samuel Lipoff</a>, May 03, 2013; 06:23 p.m.</p>

<p>I have this lens and use it often on my D700. It's a terrific lens --- small and light with a close minimum focusing distance, terrific bokeh, wonderfully damped focusing, and great IQ even at f/4.<br>

I also used the lens on a D800E that I rented for a weekend. It performed much better than the Nikon 180mm f/2.8 AF lens on the same camera. I don't have extensive experience with it on a 36 MP body though, only that one weekend.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Thanks for the input Sam - I'm close to purchasing one to give it a go on my D800.<br>

<br />- John</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>So far I'm not sure it is able to focus all the way to infinity on my D800, but it is a beautiful lens. It seems to be slightly better than my 200/4 AIS (particularly in the area of CA) and slightly less sharp than my 70-200/4 in the center, but about equal in the edges. I have not checked out the corners yet.</p>
  • Like 1