Voigtländer on Leica-M digital

The 35mm f1.7 Ultron VM is outstanding....better than the 35m f2 ASPH.

My opinion, the biggest drawback is having to manually code the lens if I want the focal length to be included in the EXIF data. I invariably will forget at some point during the day moving from one lens to the next and wind up with images captured with 21, 35, 75 (and maybe others) all showing the same lens in the EXIF data. Many users wind up coding their Voigtlander/Zeiss M lenses in various ways so the code is automatically red.

Secondarily, the Ultron does block more of the 35mm frame than the Summicron as it is not designed with compactness in terms of the Leica finder like Leica does.

• Like 2

... I only read positive reviews. There must be some drawbacks. Has any user of the above combo noticed something worth mentioning? ..

No, not really. Currently, 3 of the lenses in my bag are Voigtlanders (15, 21, 75). They're well built and perform every bit as good as Leica lenses two generations back (at less than 1/3rd the price). I always take the time and expense to have them milled for 6-bit coding at an outfit in New York through Don Goldberg "DAG" (cost is around $75, plus shipping). Turnaround usually take no more than ~30-days.

609852727_L1002671(BW).thumb.jpg.2be94cea31220dba6e0111d93ac4752f.jpg21mm CV Ultron f/1.8 - 6-bit coded as a 21mm Asph Summilux

• Like 3

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

Ken Rockwell performed testing on many Voigtlander lenses, and has mixed reviews of them. In general, he places them well behind Leica and Zeiss in both optical and mechanical quality. Ken isn't the most reliable source, but at least he tries.

I had to tighten down a retaining ring on my 50/1.5 Nokton for the group behind the front element. But- I've had to do similar fixes on quite a few lenses. I prefer the older 50/1.5 and 35/1.7 LTM lenses for their "more modern" styling, compared with the "Retro-Thin" ring of the newer lenses. The latter try to recreate the 1950s Voigtlander mechanical design, which was an absolute kludge to get Prominent lenses to work on a Leica. I also have the Voigtlander Prominent lenses, with an adapter for the 1950s Nokton.

I use 15 and 75 Voigtlanders ,screw mount ,on my Bessa L and R, my Barnacks and M2 and M8, as well as my Panny G80. I have had so much use out of these excellent lenses. Can I make a mention of two 7 Artisan lenses I bought recently for my M8? For £475 I purchased a mint 50mm 1.1 and a new 35 f2, expecting not much from them but I am staggered by the build and image quality. As a bonus both are 6 bit coded. All the best, Charles.
  • Like 2

I used to have a 35 mm Ultron f/1.7 and I quite liked the lens. In some ways i found it more intuitive and easier to operate than my Leica lenses. The only drawback I could think of is the in-camera corrections for lenses. I don't know if Leica has them for Cosina Voigtlaender.

The 50/1.1- closer to the 1950s 5cm F1.1 Zunow lens, sans the "filler elements" of the v2 Zunow. The Zunow would cost over $5000 today.

The 50/1.1 7Artisans: remarkable that they would bring out a Sonnar formula lens with this speed and 0.7m close focus. I bought 2, one optimized for a deep yellow filter for the M Monochrom.

• Like 1

Cons? Voigtländer 35mm f/1.7 Ultron can develop a wobbly front end....

Relatively easily fixed, though.

This was the screw mount version of the 35/1.7 Ultron that wod work itself loose. The VM (native M mount) 35/1.7 Ultron does not suffer from this.

Leica’s had their own quality control issues.

Ken Rockwell’s site is strictly entertainment value content and increasing his annual

Income. Taking anyrhing seriously would be akin to believing everything you read (if you’re desperate enough to even read) a copy of The National Enquirer.

The discussion of screws loosening and pieces falling off seems to reinforce Ken Rockwell's assertions about Voigtlander lenses.

Current (Leica M-mount) Voigtlander lens construction is nearly as good (IMHO, in some ways, better) as Leica. Asserting QC issues found on their original LTM lenses to those currently in production is completely ridiculous and unfair!

... Ken Rockwell’s site is strictly entertainment value content and increasing his annual Income. Taking anything [he says] seriously would be akin to believing ... The National Enquirer.

I agree 100%!

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

It's very much subjective to personal opinion and bias. Voigtlander lenses are excellence, and offer a very high level of build quality, performance.

Bottom line. In this world you get what you pay for.

A Leica lens is a Leica lens, a Voigtlander lens is a Voigtlander lens.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...