Voicemail I got today

missy_kay

<p>"Hi this is Doreen, I'm also a photographer and saw your ad. I was wondering if you have any spill over dates for this year because I'm trying to book more weddings. So if you could send me the bride's contact at my e-mail XX@X.com. I would appreciate it. Thanks!"</p>

<p>Thoughts?!</p>

<p>Well, she obviously thinks highly enough of you and the image you convey to imagine that you're getting more work than you can handle. If <em>she</em> thinks that, then hopefully that also means you can be pickier about your prospective customers, and charge more. <br /><br />How much you want to help your competition (who could also be the person who bails you out when you get the flu a day before a wedding you've booked), look at this from a few different directions.</p>

<p>She's obviously desperate however she is approaching this the wrong way. Partnerships need to have a win/win and she is not thinking in these terms. Seems like she wants you to throw her work but she does not want to spend any time developing a relationship with you.</p>

<p>Before you think about giving her any work, you should check out her portfolio since your reputation is on the line.</p>

<p>If you have a reputation as an excellent photographer, you certainly CANNOT pass on a recommendation to a client that they work with a photographer you are not familiar with. Meet her first, and get to know her work. You will have to determine if you can work together, before you send referals her way. As has already been mentioned, you could develop a positive working relationship. On the other hand, this could be a desperate and pathetic bottom-feeder, so be careful.</p>

<p>Sounds fishy to me. It would be a different story if she had left a message along the lines of "I love your work, your style is similar to mine, why don't we meet and see if our personal styles/work ethic etc. mesh and be each other's back-up in case one of us is sick, the date is booked etc."<br>

Also, as a prospective client of yours, I'd be peeved if you forwarded my contact information to somebody I didn't consider as my wedding photographer and then receive unsolicited emails from them. Not saying that you would do it but that's what this photographer is suggesting. The way this currently reads, I would ignore it because it doesn't sound like she's interested in a mutually beneficial relationship but in you sending work her way.</p>

<p>Well, no doubt Doreen's a little bold..... But, that being said, it would be good to at least have a chat. Matt brings up the "flu thing", I've mentioned this numerous times on here, you can't live on a photographic island. You wrote the other day you lost you're assistant due to the snow, which means you worked awefully hard and with added anxiety. It's good to have several more trusted contacts and be able to dial up or text message critical help when needed. I was doing a big wedding in Perth Amboy NJ by the water one day and soon after starting the church, it was utterly obvious the Fuji 120 film was catching at the roll ends and wouldn't wind through. I had enough 220 to get through what I needed, I made two phone calls and had new film from two nearby studios and more camera backs in 15 minutes. My one rescuer took the back and put it in a darkbag back at his shop to find it was faulty and we saved any images. This is also why it's good to have a second shooter-assistant who can immediately carry on in times of mishap. In the meantime, keep making your excellent images!</p>

No, no, no, and no. Did I say NO?

This photographer will most likely bite you in the as*. For example if a client see's your work and then see's this competitor, the competitor most likely will say something derogatory about you, so they get the client and not you, as well as future clients because of bad mouthing you.

I wouldn't even respond to her email, but if you decide to respond tell this person you already have a several photographers on staff and you will keep her name on file.

Long story short, don't give away your work, don't recommend another studio, unless you are very close friends and you admire their work. I know this sounds cold, but I've been in your position before.

One time a future client saw another competitor nbefore me and this competitor told the client I was the worst photographer in town and I've been sued many times. I called this lady photographer and told her the next time she pulls this she will be in court for slander. By the way, I called her while the client was with me and the client booked with me.

<p>Why wouldn't you call her back? Because she was forward enough to state her intentions on a voicemail? You should apreciate that she values your time enough to come right out and say what she's looking for. Calling her back or even meeting up with her doesn't mean that you have to refer her. Who knows? Maybe you'll meet someone you really like or could possibly work with.</p>

<p>I would at least give her a chance-like the others said, I wouldn't just start sending her potential clients, though. I have a couple good friends whose work I admire and think is as good or better than my own, and I refer any clients for dates I have already booked to them. But I would explain to her that you need to meet her first, make sure you like her, and her work before sending her any names.<br>

Another note-I typically don't send the bride's contact information to the photographers I am referring them to-I send the bride the websites and contact info of the photographers, and let them make the choice.</p>

<p>Hi, my name is John Doe, I've got a Rebel dSLR and am starting my own wedding photography business. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on what I should do next?</p>

<p>Hi, my name is Jean Doe, I've got a Rebel dSLR and love to take photos of babies and pregnant moms. I'm looking to assist at weddings and be a second shooter. You can see some of my pictures at: here.com and reach me at jean at here.com I'm not willing to travel outside of the metro area. i can also send you a list of my current equipment.</p>

<p>Hi everybody, I just love this forum and my passion is wedding photography. Can everyone tell me how I should set up my website and get clients? BTW, thanks! LOL.</p>

I'd say at least meet with her or find some way to view her work. She may surprise you, and pleasantly so. I wouldn't be so paranoid as to think she's out to sink your business. Your work obviously speaks for itself, and clients are very unlikely to take her word over yours if she ever were to bad-mouth you. Besides, she's asking for spill-over dates, not a business partnership. If these are dates you're already booked on and she happens to be a good photographer, then there's no harm done really, is there? Bottom line? Check out her work first, then decide.

<blockquote>

<p>Why wouldn't you call her back? Because she was forward enough to state her intentions on a voicemail?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>No. Not because she stated intentions. Its because of what the stated intentions are.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>it would be good to at least have a chat.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Sure. With someone else. She's figuratively sent a resume. It says, "I am totally clueless at handling business relations."<em><br /> </em></p>

<p>I sometimes get enquiries for dates I can't make, or from people who are better suited to a slightly different style of photography than mine. In all cases I'm very appreciative that they wanted to hire me, and do my best to give them a good quality referral to someone else.</p>

<p>This means only to photographers who: (i) I know — ideally personally, but otherwise by reputation; (ii) whose work I respect enormously; (iii) who I believe are exactly the right fit for the client's preferences.</p>

<p>I give the photographer's details to the client — not the other way round.</p>

<p>I've found it's always worked pretty well. I can recommend it as a sensible policy.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>it is somewhat ironic that... ...people in this thread... ...have been in the other side of the fence of this story... ...and now just look at their responses and assumptions about this "newcomer".</p>

</blockquote>

<p>With one sole exception the "people in this thread" were discussing the caller based, not on assumptions, but upon information as actually reported. None of which has anything to do with callers level of experience.<em> </em> Its pretty much just a social discussion here. This kind of call could have been made in all sorts of fields, not just photography. <em><br /> </em></p>

<p>Going purely on the way the e-mail sounds, I'd say the caller is just seeing what she can get for nothing. It has a 'nothing to lose' kind of tone to it. Based on that, I'd call her back to find out what kind of photographer she is (image wise and business wise) only if I had a lack of photographer referrals now, and the time. Otherwise, I'd ignore it or send a polite e-mail back saying no in a nice way.</p>

<p>"Hi this is Doreen, I'd like to trade on your years of hard work, marketing savvy, and accumulated goodwill for free. If you could break your client's trust by giving out their personal information to a total stranger, I would appreciate it. Also, I offer you nothing in return, like a referral fee or at least a box of donuts or a gift certificate to Bennigan's; nope, nothing."</p>

<p>These days having the chutzpah to call someone on the phone means something. I mean, she could have just posted some self-righteous sarcastic comments on a forum on the internet, hiding behind a level of anonymity...<br>

Photography can be a business, but you're earning money<em> for </em> something: to live enjoyably on this planet of people right? Or is that just me. Some of these wheeler-dealer comments are offputting for that reason.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I give the photographer's details to the client — not the other way round.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I think this is very key, in the event that you would ever call this person back. Nadine's advice is also spot on. Why would you call her back right now unless you needed to expand your network? If she's sincere, she'll call you back anyway and try to speak with you, not the machine.</p>

<p>It's possible we're being a little harsh. On the other hand, it does sound like asking for a lot of work by Missy - investigating this Doreen to make sure a referral won't reflect badly on her reputation - with little in return. Together with the revelation that the person does not even operate as a photographer full-time it just seems a little sketchy, that's all.</p>