Vivitar Series 1 35-85mm f2.8

tri-x1

Al;though some folks stick with Nikkors I'm not above trying some aftermarket

lenses since there's usually some savings. Recently, I spotted a Vivitar

Series 1 35-85mm f2.8 lens on the auction. The reviews of that lens have

always been pretty good and I liked the idea of the larger aperture. Below are

some results from the first test roll (Fuji 400 Pro). I suspect I'll be using

this lens a lot, even though it's pretty heavy (balances my F4).<div>00HCIO-31017384.jpg.63b90b86b9eea398ca38811337bebf44.jpg</div>

I had a Vivitar Series 1 35-85mm f/2.8 variable focus (not zoom) MF lens in a Minolta mount from the late 70s to the early 80s:

http://homepage3.nifty.com/3rdpartylens-om/vivitar35-85.htm

The Series 1 35-85mm was better than Nikon's similar focal length zoom offerings at that time, but zoom lens technology has advanced significantly since then. Today, in the same general zoom range, I'd rather shoot a 35-70mm AFD Nikkor.<div>00HCL1-31018384.jpg.ae2b3fd5c6c98f36f773e105972c5982.jpg</div>

I have this lens in M42 mount. It's nice but I would probably use it more if it were in FD or Minolta mount. If you don't mind the weight it is still a pretty nice lens. Eventually I might find a used Bessaflex in good condition and at the right price and then I might use my M42 lenses more. I sometimes use them with adapters on a Canon F-1 or a Minolta X-700. Those set-ups are not for fast shooting but can still gove nice results.

Vivitar made some innovative lenses; my favourite was the 90-180 .My friend had the 90mm F2.8 macro which is an excellent lens.The 90-180 was no slouch!I keep hearing/reading on the optical performance of the "new" computer designed zooms & how good they are. They may be good but are seldom fast lenses as were the Vivitars.

I picked up a Vivitar Series 1 35-85mm f2.8 for a song in London about 8 years ago it was ok at 85mm but compared to my 35-70 3.5 (62mm filter size)Nikkor it was a pretty cheesy piece of crap, in my 30 years of buying and trying the independant lens's are always a mile behind the camera makers lenses