Vivitar Series 1 28-90mm F2.8-3.5 Zoom

Lou_Meluso

I don’t shoot with zooms very much. I’ve always preferred the speed and sharpness of prime lenses. I’ve had a number of

various range zooms over the years, Canon FD and third party, and (with the exception of the nFD 80-200 F4 L) have not

been happy with them for serious work. They mostly found duty at parties, family gatherings and other non-critical uses

where variable focal length was more of an advantage that absolute image quality. I have seen many nice pix from other

photographers using zooms on their FD gear but I never was happy with the hardware or the results for one reason or

another……..until now.

I picked up this Vivitar Series 1 28-90mm f2.8-3.5, in mint condition, for the grand total of $45 from eBay a few months ago.

Here is a link that describes the lens from a printed ad:

http://jfcampbell.us/photo/vivitar28-90.htm

Made by Komine, the lens is large and heavy with 67mm filter size. This turns off a lot of folks but in that heft is a beautiful

build quality and precision operational feel. The focusing and zoom mechanics are really top notch. Smooth and positive

with no slop or creep. Since I also use Bronica SQ-A gear that take 67mm filters, I already had all the filters I needed. Here

are a few shots taken with this lens. All images are shot handheld with the Canon F-1 (except the first one) on Fuji Superia

400 film, scanned on a Nikon CS4000ED.<div>00QhRw-68509584.jpg.e7379043801bc23508e3371c14068291.jpg</div>

Sliding down to the 80mm setting and closing down to f/4, with an F-1, gives a jump in IQ. I tend to want to shoot this type of portrait with a tripod, but handholding makes for a much more fluid and faster sitting. (note: the previous image of the sharpshooter was scanned on an Epson V750 all the others were scanned on the Nikon)<div>00QhS7-68511584.jpg.c4b286e8560a8f2b647b260524568254.jpg</div>

I left this view of Lake Union, as seen from the Seattle Space Needle, in color. This is shot at the 28mm setting at f11. The wide end is the weaker side of this zoom and at this focal length corner light fall off (see the right side) is seen. Resolution is fair and some barrel distortion is seen. Still quite usable however

All in all, this lens is one of the better lenses I’ve tried in this zoom range. While it will be difficult to leave the primes at home, this one delivers the goods as an excellent walk around lens that has speed, optical quality and a really fine, all metal build.<div>00QhSK-68511984.jpg.30071ebbc5b874a20b2f9f5bb4cbd068.jpg</div>

One of the reasons this lens is as good as it is is that it is not really a zoom but a Varifocal lens. You have to refocus it after changing to focal length. This lack of holding focus through the zooming range allows the optical designer to better/or easier correct for certain aberrations.

I owned one of these for a summer and took some very nice photo's with it and mine even had about a dozen tiny like rock chips in the front element. I used it while driving a 96 foot long hay hauling semi that worked in and out of the fields. I documented the whole summer with it. And since it was already a little beat up I didn't have to worry about it.

I really enjoy those photo's

A fine piece of kit in my book.

Of the Vivitar Series 1 lenses in this range this one is my favorite. I have the 35-85/2.8 and it's a nice lens but heavy and not so wide. The later 28-105/2.8-3.8 is more bulky and does not allow you to get very close at the 28 setting. In good light and if you can live with the close focusing limit at 28, the 28-105 is still a very nice lens. I have the 28-90 in several mounts but used it mostly in OM mount. Somewhere there is a thread in which someone guesses that the non-Series 1 Vivitar 28-85 Variable Focusing lens was in competition with the 28-90 to be the Series 1 model. I have that lens in K mount and I would say it's about as good as the 28-90. In general I would say that I prefer to use zoom lenses with cameras which have interchangeable screens so I can use a grid type or plain matte type. I don't find a microprism or split image aid helpful with any zoom.

Well from a physical point of view the Vivitar is longer but smaller in diameter then the Canon 28-85mm f4.0 the Vivitar as I remember it is heavier. The Canon is a 2 ring true zoom. It uses 72mm filters which crossed over with a few of my other lenses (17mm f4.0 20mm f2.8 35-105mm f3.5 200mm f2.8 IF) And I was already building a nice kit of Hoya 72mm double coated filters. For me the decision was part getting a very good deal on the 28-85mm f4.0 nFD and part the condition of the 28-90mm f2.8 Series 1 I had. I have a problem with physically beat up gear. I took the 28-85mm f4.0 nFD with us on our once in a lifetime trip to Europe and was very pleased with the slides I got.

ALL that said the Vivitar 28-90mm f2.8 Series 1 is a FINE lens and one I really enjoyed owning while I had it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
<p>For those interested here are a few quick shots done at ISO 1600, pentax k200D, with only one single overhead fluorescent light, with my 'new' viv 28-90 series 1. It is heavy as hell and I really like it so far. Maybe I will think differently after i use it for a whole day. But hey, it only set me back $45 on Ebay, and shots are as good as if not better than my kit lens. I'll post more if there is any interest. Photos were adjusted for black level and noise control d/t high ISO.</p>

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...