"Vivitar Series 1 105mm f2.5 macro lens, N/AI-S"

jay_drew

<p >Hello all</p>

<p >I have a "Vivitar Series 1 105mm f2.5 macro lens, N/AI-S" per it's markings. It's supposed to be the same lens as the famous Kiron 105mm f2.8 macro, just rebadged. I take the "N/AI-S" to mean that it's a Nikon AIS lens. Both f32 f stops (I know a ridiculous f-stop for a small format camera) are the same shade of green. I take this to be another clue that It's an AIS (just green instead of orange). However, it does not stop down in Shutter preferred mode w/ 2 different F4 cameras, when the light level indicates that it should. Does anyone have an idea if it should be operable in shutter preferred mode?</p>

<p >Thank you, Jay Drew</p>

<p>Has the lens ever been serviced? A guess here, it is fairly old and if not used often, it may have issues with the shutter-blade lube (graphite...) And bear in mind, as you rack out the lens for a close-up, the f-stop may never be what is marked on the lens ... it is a floating f-stop number as recorded by the camera.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>"It is a beautiful macro lens! Enjoy it!" <br>

Yes I fully agree. I'm happy to use it in A or M, although I like Shutter priority, such as last gen. Canons. However @ this moment, I'm confused as to the meaning of S in AiS. I'm going to try to set the shutter speed w/ the aperture @ f32 w/ an F3 & see if it stops down automatically. (From past memory, I don't think it will, but I suffer from CRS). I'll get back after.<br>

Thanks, JD</p>

<p> </p>

<p> </p>

<p>"Has the lens ever been serviced?"<br>

Jerry, I doubt it. It was a rare eBay find, absolutely pristine, in box, both original caps, leather case, all original paperwork. I don't think it had ever been used. But it works fine in A mode. I know that years of sitting can cause problems w/ a lens. I'm willing to have it serviced, but I don't think it needs it.<br>

Thanks, for the comments, JD</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>I'm confused as to the meaning of S in AiS.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p><strong>A</strong>uto <strong>I</strong>ndexing <strong>S</strong>hutter if I remember correctly. More specifically it indicates that the aperture actuation of the lens is linear, which is required for accurate exposures when the aperture movement is controlled exclusively by the camera body stopdown lever with no hard stops set from the aperture ring linkage. Ai lenses do not have a linear stopdown (which for example makes them a poor candidate for a "Dandelion" CPU conversion).</p>

<p>However only the FA (shutter priority, program mode), FG (program mode) and N2000/N2020 (program mode) can take advantage of the AiS feature.</p>

<p>The F4 <strong>does</strong> have the mechanical interfaces (lens speed post lever in the mirror box, AiS detection pin) required to allow for shutter priority and program exposure with AiS lenses, but for some reason Nikon chose to disable it (camera defaults to 'A' mode if set to 'S' or 'P' with a manual focus "non-CPU" lens mounted).<br /> -</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>I'm going to try to set the shutter speed w/ the aperture @ f32 w/ an F3 & see if it stops down automatically.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>That would be 'A' mode. :-)</p>

<p>And unless the aperture is oiled, it will stop down to f/32 with a (presumably) very slow shutter speed.</p>

<p>If it isn't broken, don't fix it.<br /> And for the sake of whatever deity you worship, don't "lube" or "oil" it unless you already know what you're doing.</p>

<p>The really classic 105mm f/2.5 is the Nikkor-P 105mm f/2.5 - a wonderful portrait and street lens. I have that as well as a Spiratone 105mm f/2.5 T-mount. I have no certainty about who made the latter, although many Tamron and Sigma lenses found their way into the Spira lineup.</p>

<p>"And for the sake of whatever deity you worship, don't "lube" or "oil" it unless you already know what you're doing."<br>

Funny U should say that. I've been wondering what the filter threads & the breach mount could be 'safely' lubed with. (Hopefully it could be accomplished w/o the help of / or need for any deity). If I would need the help of a deity to use a proper lube, 1 that won’t run until >190deg. or so. & won't distribute particles on a lens surface, I wouldn't consider it. <br>

I have no intention of taking any lens or camera apart.<br>

Thanks for the input, JD</p>

<p >My memory falis me. Was the Nikkor-P 105mm f/2.5 one of the macro lens made by Krion? That was my major reason for getting the Vivatar, & to save a little $$$</p>

<p>Just to expand a bit on what Michael said. I believe the "S" in Ai-S implies that the lenses can be used in Shutter Priority exposure mode, where the camera controls the aperture by regulating the amount of stop-down lever movement. Obviously the non-standardised and non-linear Ai aperture actuator would result in erratic exposures when used in this mode.</p>

<p>Jay, filter threads can be safely and effectively "lubed" by rubbing a little candle-wax into them, as can sticky plastic lenshood bayonets (scented candles may be used at your own discretion).<br /> I've never found a need to ease a breech mount with anything more drastic than a good clean. For some reason Nikon's chromed lens bayonet seems to attract dirt like some kind of gunge magnet, but a wipe with a non-shedding cloth or tissue should make it operate smoothly again.</p>

<p>WRT the 105mm Nikkor-P f/2.5 lens being made by Kiron? What have you been smoking?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>filter threads & the breach mount could be 'safely' lubed with</p>

</blockquote>

<p>normally the mount shouldn't need any kind of "lube", but a little graphite (very little) might help the filter threads, although a good cleaning with a damp (not wet) rag with some naphtha on it might be better. Never have any kind of fluid next to the lens edges where it can seep in.</p>

<p>RJ wrote:<br>

"Just to expand a bit on what Michael said. I believe the "S" in Ai-S implies that the lenses can be used in Shutter Priority exposure mode, where the camera controls the aperture by regulating the amount of stop-down lever movement." <br>

Well that's what I thought, the lens stops down in "A" mode, so it's not stuck.<br>

"Obviously the non-standardised and non-linear Ai aperture actuator would result in erratic exposures when used in this mode."<br>

An F4 has a standardized Ai actuator, no?<br>

"filter threads can be safely and effectively "lubed" by rubbing a little candle-wax into them,"<br>

I bought a pound of candle wax a week ago for that very purpose, but decided against applying it until inquiring further. AT ~$4.50, WOW! Can U believe that! $4.50 for a pound! I can't. I thought it would be ~ a buck.<br>

"I've never found a need to ease a breech mount with anything more drastic than a good clean. For some reason Nikon's chromed lens bayonet seems to attract dirt like some kind of gunge magnet, but a wipe with a non-shedding cloth or tissue should make it operate smoothly again."<br>

That's funny. Because they are such a grunge magnet, I thought that they have old lube on them which has attracted grunge, & that I needed to wipe it off & relube it. However for best in grunge one should go to Seattle;-)<br>

"WRT the 105mm Nikkor-P f/2.5 lens being made by Kiron? What have you been smoking?"<br>

Are U saying that I'm insulting the 105-P? If so, sorry, ignorance<br>

I really appreciate all the good info, JD</p>

<p> </p>