Vivitar dedicated flash questions (5600/4600/5200/3700, etc)

a._valerio

<p>I just bought a used Vivitar 5600, and have a couple of questions.</p>

<p>Is there a non-dedicated (single contact) module available for the Vivitar 5600/5200? These flash units take the "PM" (processor module) series.</p>

<p>Also, I noticed that due to the recessed locking knob design, it's hard to tighten and loosen the flash unit. I can't get my fingers in there easily. I was thinking of filing away a bit of plastic near the base to make it easier. Am I missing something?</p>

<p>I may have to modify both the contacts and the plastic near the locking knob on a processor module to achieve what I need (single pin operation and secure coupling to the camera).</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>A quick way to adapt one brand of dedicated flash to another brand camera, is to cut a thin piece of plastic<br>

and place it between the camera's hot shoe and the foot of the flash. <br>

Cut this plastic shim so that only the center pin makes contact, while ensuring the other contact on the side,<br>

slide groove area, also, still makes contact.<br>

You can cut the shim from an old negative that you're willing to sacrifice.</p>

<p>Marc</p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

<p>Hay Mr A, You want to find a Vivitar Processor module PM P/S Which stand for Pentax/ Standard. This will give you the one contact . Also keep and eye out for a DSC3. This is the off camera cord for the flash. Of course nothing is going to be TTL but automatic will work as well as manual. Watching Ebay I have found flashes with this module for about the same price as a flash alone. Last trail through Ebay I ended up purchasing a 5600 and a standard module for under $20 with shipping. I now have a standard module and a dead 5600 flash. Looks like I am going to get a flash construction lesson. Hope this helps. <br>

John</p>