in knowing what others think.

It is..

Vivitar 70-150mm 1:3.8 Close Focusing Auto Zoom No. 22826060 w/ 52mm Dia filter

thread.

I'm not aware of anything 'auto' about it despite that inclusion in it's

naming. It seems like a fast manual zoom, and I love the fact I can get very

close to subjects. It also works well with a Vivitar 2X - 22 TeleConverter I

have. Likely better than any other lens I own which I find somewhat annoying

since it's one of the least expensive lenses I own.

I'd say wiht a some confidence I'm the first person to ever mount it to camera,

I bought it used but, it was obviously not used before or not at all and, I

know it's old. Maybe from the late 80's? The 'passed' sticker has '86' on it..

Thanks all.

Tom, I have 3 of these Oldies but Goldies (and a 4th one is on the way) and it's quite annoying for me. You see, they're mostly manual (only 2 have the "A" setting for aperture) so they're a bit of a pain to use (meaning they require some work on my behalf, sheesh). However, they produce great pictures, and more importantly, they cover focal lengths and wide apertures that I cannot possibly afford to replace with modern glass.

So, I'm sort of stuck with them for the time being, trying to make the most of them while I bid my time until I can afford their modern counterparts.

I would definitely like to see some pictures taken with your Vivitar, and also some pictures of the lens itself. I think I've seen some on eBay in the past, but I've never tried to get one. So with the TC does that give you a 140-300mm f/7.1 that's sharp wide open?

It's a two ring version.. close-focusing - 70 - 150 etc.. It does not have the 'A' and it is quite nice with a Vivitar 2x (AT-22) teleconverter. When I get home this evening I'll get some samples up.

It also includes the built-in lens hood and 52mm filter thread. Originally designed for manual focus cameras only, it required me to remove the inner ring though it works superbly.

Yes, with the 2x the numbers are, 140-300 f7.. It's sharper than my Sigma 100-300 DL f4.5-6.7 at 300mm f7..

• 2 weeks later...

OK - I'll look to see if I have any recently saved photos taken with the lens from the K10D - If

I don't, keep nagging me - I promise to do a test for you.

Hey - someone actually beat me on a bid for a 70-150 matched 2x Viv teleconverter!! I fell

asleep and when I woke, the auction was over :( I wanted that thing so bad I could taste it!!

The 2X-22 is good on some lenses like, so far the 50 f1.7, 70-150 f3.8, 105 f2.5.. It turns a

macro or close-focusing lens into an unusual beast.

What I've noticed about the lens; CA at wide open but completely manageable and it's a little

on the cold side.

Other than that, it's a really well built lens. I mean, top notch build. It's heavy but manageable

but you need to get used to the rings.. I always grab the wrong one. And then I grab the one

that doesn't move.. Always.. lol

Thanks for the update, Tom :-)

I like the furry bugger shot! Very nice.

I was wondering about about that third ring... Probably useful when getting the lens on and off the camera. About the macro, is just a close-focusing lens, or does it a have a macro mode? Is it 1:4 ratio?

Yes, those dedicated converters go for a hefty price. It's probably cheaper for you to bid for a lens+converter combo, and then sell the lens.

I really wanted it - I thought to myself, if it's this good with this Viv tele, it's gotta be

outstanding with a matched unit..

Not sure about the actual ratio in macro BUT, I did take a few photos a couple months back

and remember looking at them thinking they were from my Viv 105.. They weren't, they were

from the 70-150.. It may be closer than 1.4.. I'll shall take a shot now and report back in a

bit with an image..