VIVITAR 283 with NiCads and Alkaline Pack

pensacolaphoto

Hi,

I have recently purchased a Vivitar 283 flash with Alkaline

batteries insert. The instructions state that a separate NiCad

insert must be used with NiCad batteries. Today I used (by mistake)

the Alkaline baterries insert with NiCads, and the flash worked

fine. What is the problem caused when such an error is being

committed? Have I hurt the flash? Will exposures be off?

I believe what the instructions are referring to is the rather expensive NiCad battery pack that Vivitar wants to sell you, so the they can be rich and you can be poor.

Other brands of NiCad and NiMH AA batteries work fine in the same holder as the alkaline batteries. It will not damage your flash and it will not effect exposure. The only problem is that you will keep more of your money and Vivitar doesn't like that. :~)

Don't know the flash. maybe Vivitars adapter uses a additional cell to make it load faster. Probable if it uses 6 cells. Low power can't harm, don't worry.

Manufacturers NiCad-packs have the advantage of 150% good connections of the cells, a huge problem with some battery holders.

The 4 AA insert holds 4-1.5 batteries which equal 6.0Vdc. The Vivitar NiCAD pack may hold 5-1.2Vdc bateries which equal 6.0Vdc. I use 4 NiMH rechargables in my Sunpak 383(283 clone) all the time but it doesn't have a battery pack, you just insert the 4 batteries into a cavity in the flash housing.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...