Vivitar 283 Flash Vari-power VP-1 module

John, I have a pair of 283s with VP-1s that I use a lot for closeup work, also a Minolta Flash Meter.

At full power, both 283s are 1 stop down from rated power. Rated ISO 100 feet GN is 120, actuals 80 and 90.

At 1/2 power, both are 1 stop down from rated.

At 1/4, -2 stops

At 1/8, -3 stops

At 1/16, -4 stops

At 1/32, -5 stops

At 1/64, which is not marked, -6 stops.

They work very consistently. Now do the arithmetic yourself.

Cheers,

Dan

At its minimum setting my VP-1 gives out five and a half stops less than at full

power. Tested with a lightmeter, I found the incremental markings to be inaccurate.

(This is easily solved with a sticker and a pen.)

I'm now using a secondhand Metz MZ40 which is more accurate, with a 10 stop range

in one third of a stop increments.

I've got an MZ40 and like it very much, use it on my R8, but it seems awfully big and heavy for an M Leica, especially for "discreet" street shooting. Why not just use a little flash like a Vivitar 2800 or even the Olympus S20, in manual mode, with neutral-density gels to cut the output?

It is nice to find out about all of these other Flashes out there...there are SO many, that it

is difficult to get meaningful info or advice on them.

I only use Flash for event-type shooting (Weddings/Parties) where you have to shoot even

if the light isn't good enough. I still can't bring myself to just shoot Flash the normal way

and have everything look like nasty snapshots.

jmp