Vivitar 28-70mm 1:3.8-4.8 Macro Focusing Canon FD lens removal.

anna_spengler

<p>Hi! I am just getting into film photography (I'm a journalism student and have a few photography classes), so I got a Canon t70 to experiment with. It came with this lens. I wanted to buy different lenses since macro photography isn't really what I'm into but I can't figure out how to remove the lens and didn't want to get ahead of myself buying more without having figured out a simple thing like that. I searched Google and read the t70 manual but they all talk about a release button that I can't seem to find on this lens. I was wondering if anyone here could help me with that. Thanks in advance.</p>

<p >Look at your lens where it attaches to the camera. Is there a knurled ring connecting the lens to the camera? If so, twist the ring counterclockwise until it stops. Then remove the lens from the camera. If there's no knurled ring, there should be a button on the lens mount. Press in this button, then turn the lens counterclockwise until it comes off.</p>

<p>Note also that "Macro Focusing" just means the lens is <em>capable </em>of macro focus, but is perfectly fine for normal photography as well. Certainly don't want to discourage you from trying other lenses, but 28-70mm is a useful focal length range for starting out in film photography, so if you're on a budget it could serve you well for a while.</p>

<p>I thought I'd add just a bit to this discussion from a technique standpoint. But first a point of clarification. The Canon New FD lenses are the ones with the button. All others use a rotating breechlock ring, including all Vivitars. With the exception of Sigma lenses. Sigma came up with a clever breechlock mount using a button that mimics Canon's New FD mount without being New FD. But that doesn't apply here, so anyway . . .</p>

<p>When mounting and dismounting a breechlock lens from a Canon camera, there is often a bit of juggling involved where you sometimes might wish you had a third hand. This is because you have the camera in one hand, the lens in another, and then with your third hand, you rotate the breechlock ring to secure the lens to the camera. For dismounting the lens, following the reverse of this works.</p>

<p>But in the real world, I've developed a couple of ways to manage this bit of awkwardness. First way is, after attaching the lens to the camera, push the camera into my chest with the hand holding the lens, so that I can let go of the camera and rotate the breechlock ring with that hand. The second way requires a bit of dexterity. With the hand holding the lens, after mounting it to the camera, I partially rotate the ring -- enough to secure the lens to the camera -- with my pinky finger. I can then let go of the lens and tighten the ring the rest of the way.</p>

<p>On this same subject, one property of Canon-brand breechlock lenses that you usually won't find with aftermarket lens makers is the breechlock ring is spring loaded. With a Canon-brand breechlock lens, when you mount it to the camera, the ring will partially rotate, allowing you to let go of the lens to tighten it the rest of the way. You probably won't find this feature on your Vivitar, however.</p>

<p>Have fun with your T-70. If you don't have a manual for it, one can be found at Mike Butkis's website (google 'butkis camera manual'). And a word to the wise, set your T-70's meter to the partial pattern and learn to meter within its boundaries. Your exposures will be better if you use that pattern instead of the standard "centerweighted" pattern.</p>

<p>Butk<strong>u</strong>s url: http://www.butkus.org/chinon/<br>

If the manual is of use to you, Paypal Butkus the small donation he asks for to support the site. We need this man and his website!</p>

<p>Google for the various kinds of FD and FD (new) mounts and such.<br>

Start at <a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_FD_lens_mount">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_FD_lens_mount</a></p>

<p>Basic Law: "Never force it"</p>

<p>LOL<br /> @ JDM, your last sentence in your last post ("Never force it") brought back a painful memory. When I was in high school, I took a photography class and I had my FT with me. A friend of mine asked to 'check out' my camera. Next thing I see is him trying to twist off the lens. "WTH!!??!??" He had an older Konica with the screw mount lens and he just assumed ALL SLRs had screw mount lens and he was trying to unscrew my lens. Since then, the locating screw that fits in the notch at the top of the FD mount has been cocked about 1/8". Never had any problems with taking photos though, a testament to the toughness and design of the FL/FD breechlock mount, I think...</p>