Vivitar 2000 on OMD EM1 Safe?

ben_pike

<p>Hello,<br>

<br />I am intending to attach two Vivitar 2000 flashes to a dual sync cable into the sync socket of my OMD EM1. I understand that the max trigger voltage is 250V and the Vivitar flashes each come in at 190V. I am not an electronic expert, but wanted to understand if the voltage is likely to combine in series and thus be a bad idea or if it will be ok. Any suggestions gratefully received.<br>

Thanks.</p>

The owners manual says that the maximum sync voltage is "about" 250v, so I would be very reluctant to attach directly even one high voltage flash, let alone 2. I would get a Safe Sync device to put between my camera and these flash units or get a simple optical slave and set off the slave flash using the little Olympus accessory flash, set on a low powered manual flash setting.

If I were you, Ben, and considering that all current modern flashes have trigger voltages under 10 volts DC, I would not risk taking a chance on a costly camera like the EM-1 circuitry with that set up and a cable connection. You can buy modern flashes, especially used ones like the FL 36, for 150 bucks mint condition. Bottom line is if you want to be safe and never sorry, then get a voltage reducer like the safe synch or even better go modern and use RF flash triggers ( a more elegant solution). An electronics expert would probably urge you to test your flash...meaning use a voltmeter to test the actual vs the "published" nominal trigger voltages of that flash..... I have a couple old Vivitar 285HV series which have trigger voltages of just about 12 V.

I do not like the sound of those models you mention. Use them as slaves, -better.