Vito CLR winding mechanism problem

So, having fixed the sticky shutter problem, I put a roll of film in

the camera to try it out, and discovered another problem -- the

uptake spool is incapable of rotating when it encounters the

slightest resistance, so it can't pull the film out of the film

spool. The winding lever moves fine, and the uptake spool rotates

fine too when there's no film attached to it. But when I attach the

film leader to the uptake spool and turn the winding lever, the spool

doesn't rotate. It just stays motionless as the lever turns.

Hmmm...what could this be caused by? Stripped gears of some?

I don't think it's a stripped gear, if both the takeup reel and the film sprocket are turning, or the spool would stop turning even without a load. On my Vito CLR, there's a rather stiff clutch somewhere in the mechanism, which allows turning of the takeup spool, and allows for some slippage between the spool and the sprocket. Open the back and try turning the spool with a finger. It should resist, but turn without damage. When you turn the winder it should require a fair amount of holding to prevent it from turning, and the sprocket should turn without any slippage at all. If the sprocket is turning but the spool is weak, then the clutch mechanism, whatever and wherever it is, is at fault. If the sprocket is not turning, suspect a stripped gear.

For anyone reading this who is familiar with the quirky mechanism of some other Voigtlanders, I should point out that the Vito CLR differs from some other Vitos in that it does not require film in it to cock the shutter, and the cocking lever is indeed geared directly to the film sprocket.

Unfortunately, wherever this clutch is, it is not immediately accessible, either by removing the top or bottom cover (I looked). It appears that you might have to get pretty deep into the camera to find and correct this, unless you can find a way to wake it up without actually fixing it.