Vista and NEF

paul.thomsen

Sorry to say, Microsot's NEF viewer is next to useless or at least it provides hardly any advantage over NC.

The speed that NEF viewer opens NEF file is about the same as that of NC on my computer (WinXP, 2.4MHz Pen4, 1G DDR RAM).

I briefly tested it and uninstalled soon after.

Now that I have a few minutes let me explain a little better. Vista is a 64 based operating system and XP is 32. Nikon software is 32 only and no plans to upgrade to 64. Therefore, don't buy Vista or XP Pro X64, or build a computer with a 64 processor if you want to use Nikon software. Nikon did say they will upgrade to 64, but no idea when. grrrrrr Shame on Nikon. Hope this helps. Paul, I am using XP X64 and CS2, runs fine with it, so I'm sure Vista will work well too.

• 1 month later...

Bob, Vista comes in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Unfortunately, the latest Nikon View doesn't install on either of them. Though, Nikon View 6.2.1 installs (at least on the 32-bit version). You need to install and run it in XP compatibility mode. (Right-click the app, view properties, click on the compatibility tab and select XP.) The large preview generator for RAW doesn't work though.

Ditto for Nikon Capture. Version 4.4.0 installs and runs fine on Vista in XP compatibility mode.