Vista 64 & CS3 - pictures are way too dark, OK in Bridge

<p>I am trying to help a very nice older lady (she's 75 and going very strong). She just bought a new Vista 64 PC and is using CS3 on it to edit her pics. When she views the pictures in Bridge they look correctly exposed, as soon as she opens them in either ACR or PS they are way too dark. Her system is NOT calibrated (yet). Other applications, like the MS viewer, also display the pics as being too dark. Her histograms look OK - the pics certainly are not under exposed.<br /><br />Does someone have an idea where she needs to change her settings? I am really at a loss - I tried everything I could think of (granted, that might not be a lot:-)<br /><br />Thanks for any help!</p>

<p>I think you will need to find out if the pictures are dark because of color management issue (double profiling, wrong monitor profile) or because ACR applies some bad initial settings.</p>

<p>If you take the dark, bad looking picture from PS and save it using Save for Web and leave it dark, does it look ok again in web browser, or does it look dark? If it looks dark, you probably have some bad initial setting in ACR. I am sure that can be changed, but I don't have CS3 anymore to tell you how. If it looks dark in PS and you save it for Web (i.e. as sRGB) as dark and it looks ok (meaning not dark) in non-color managed applications, you probably have problem with color management settings.</p>

<p> </p>