Vista 64 bit and CS4 and color management

<p>This is a question about Vista 64 bit and CS4 and color management. I scan 4x5 film and sometimes end up with up to or even bigger than 1 GB files. Obviously that needs as much memory as possible. Windows XP is limited in this regard and I am in the market for a new speedy computer which won't force me to stay at a snail's pace. In this month's Shutterbug, David Brooks in his Q&A column says to avoid Vista for color management reasons, but offers no explanation or support for his opinion. He implies one should wait for Windows 7 for some unstated reason. With a calibrated monitor and printer and Photoshop controlling color files sent to the printer, why would Vista be any different or worse than XP? Is he on to something or just pontificating? Does anyone know any reliable info about Windows 7 that would make it worth waiting for?<br>

Thanks</p>

<p>Vista has a known issue with colour management. When you start up it will load the ICC profile as you expect. However, if the PC suspends, hibernates or if you have to authorise a UAC activity, then it will lose the colour profile, reverting to the default. This might be what the review is talking about?<br>

There are various fixes supplied by microsoft, but I couldn't get Vista to behave reliably.<br>

I have been using Windows 7 RC x64 for the last week or so and it behaves properly as far as I can tell.<br>

FYI, I use a Datacolor Spyder 2 Express and Lightroom 2.</p>

<p>Summary: When it comes to colour management and ICC profiles, XP works properly; Vista x64 is hopeless; Windows 7 RC seems to work properly so far...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>When it comes to colour management and ICC profiles, XP works properly; Vista x64 is hopeless;</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Oh good grief. Vista64 hopeless? Hardly. I've been using Vista64 SP1 since CS4's release, and have yet to run into a serious issue with anything. Color management works just FINE for me, just as it does for many others on this forum. I've had zero, zilch, nada problems with it from first installation.</p>

<p>I hate to come across like some kind of MS shill, but honestly. Vista64 isn't perfect, but it is a solid platform for PS work as it currently exists. Most of the early color management problems (profiles unloading) people had with Vista of either variant were related to early driver issues with calibration hardware/software, and with UAC on some laptops. My own Vista32 laptop suffered from this pre-SP1 and with an older calibration device and its first set of "Vista Compatabile (hah!)" drivers. With SP1, and updated drivers, color management works fine on my mid-range laptop too.</p>

<p>MS completely screwed up the intro of Vista, and the way it handled working with OEMs and third parties on driver issues. They've long since corrected the vast majority of these issues, but most of the FUD still persists. The combination of CS4 and Vista64 running on a capable box with plenty of memory makes for an amazing photo editing platform. You couldn't pay me enough to go back to a 32-bit platform.</p>

<p>Wait for Windows 7 if you like, but recognize it for what it is - a mildly tuned up version of Vista, attached to a name change, a far better managed intro, with OEMs and third parties on board from the start, and finally and most importantly from MS's perspective, well-managed PR. The best news is that, since it really is Vista R2, and not a whole new OS core, there won't be serious driver issues at intro, and the Vista driver situation is, at long last, stable.</p>

<p>Scott</p>

<p>I stopped reading Shutterbug in High School.</p>

<p>Agree with Scott and Martin. I'm using Vista 64 and W7 64 with a Spyder3 and everything is great. I'd load W7 right this second. It's the Vista kernel and almost everything that loads on Vista works on W7. In my experience anyway.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Vista has a known issue with colour management. When you start up it will load the ICC profile as you expect.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This issue is <a href="http://neosmart.net/blog/2007/windows-vistas-gamma-table-bug/">real</a> , widespread, serious and should be paid careful attention to by everyone using Vista. it's not Vista bashing at all in this case. It's a huge blunder that MS has never fixed, but it also is easily overcome<br /> <br /> 1) Download <a href="http://neosmart.net/downloads/miscellania/DisplayProfile.zip">displayprofile</a> or <a href="http://www.exactscan.com/lutmanager/">lut manager</a> . Either one of these will aloow you to reimpose your profile at any time.<br /> <br /> 2) Install <a href="http://www.r2.com.au/software.php?page=2&show=startdelay">startupdelayer </a> by r2 software and tell it to delay the startup of your profile - for example the Spyder utility if you're using the Spyder - by 30 seconds. This solves 75% of the problem. If you then have a situation where the screen dims to display an error message - the screen dimming causes a problem - use one of the other utilities to reload your profile .<br /> <br /> This problem is widespread and <a href="http://neosmart.net/blog/2007/windows-vistas-gamma-table-bug/">well-documented</a> , and has been around for a long time. I have it on a brand new build of V64. It's ridiculous that MS has not fixed it. They do offer a <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/951537/">patch </a> but it does nothing as far as I can tell.<br /> <br /> Hope that helps</p>

• 3 weeks later...
<p>Is anyone running Vista64 and CS4 on an HP xw8200 dual Xeon? I am thinking of upgrading this platform from XP32. Color management is fine (as expected) but I would not want a problem if I went to a 64 bit OS. Regards.</p>