Visitors to your feeder...

Gup

<p>I've lost count of the number of times I've repaired this feeder. Unlike the bears and raccoons, the red tailed squirrels attack all year long. I usually cut up old plastic juice containers to patch the holes and duct tape the patches on but if the dog's not on patrol the red tails go right back to work.</p><div>00eKVc-567490484.thumb.jpg.fd8000a38bd94971ef74f15ddbf7e76e.jpg</div>

<p>The next repair will be a fine wire mesh with the appropriate holes cut out for the birds to feed. <br>

The feeder hangs from a porch railing suspended above a hand railing. It resembles a busy airport most days and is replenished every other day. It is a busy job maintaining it and the porch from bird, raccoon and squirrel damage. The bears to date have only damaged the feeders.<br>

Thanks for the suggestions and links. <br>

Here are a few more shots that show the installation... and the inevitable dirt that is the cause of 26 years of frustration for my long-suffering Queen.</p><div>00eKZe-567501684.thumb.jpg.1d535f07bfdc4f1446c5b6e46c66c09f.jpg</div>

<p>Shun, I'm laughing at your suggestion because it reminds me of this attempt I made years ago to prevent the squirrels from launching off the railing. It didn't even slow them down! Their feet went neatly between all the spikes like they weren't even there.</p><div>00eKZi-567501784.jpg.96cb6d8455379d53d55b1daa3dc0ee0b.jpg</div>

<p>Shun, I had to give up feeding the hummers. The mess from the raccoons doing exactly that and spilling the syrup all over the place would have been too much for my marriage to survive.</p><div>00eKaJ-567503284.jpg.b49df8a759e69887f115bc5a24b1a8c0.jpg</div>

<p>Nice dogs, Standards, but I like nearly all dogs. My Rhodesian will chase deer out of the garden without harming them and return on command. I am planning an electric stock fence on a timer this spring. We have so many deer, despite not feeding or otherwise encouraging them they often eat all the blossoms in the garden over night.</p>

<p>The deer are a nuisance when it comes to gardening, for sure. <br>

In the winter, though, a couple dozen of them choose to make this property their home. We have a sizeable hemlock bush all around us and they shelter here from the wolves and wind. In particularly harsh winters gone by the Ministry of Natural Resources used to supply me with food for them and I would feed them all promptly at 4:15pm each day. They soon became dependant on this and had to be fed, one way or another, regardless of my schedule. It was an obligation on my part. I would mix the food and then dump small piles within 50', or so, of the house. As the winter drew on I would gradually dump the piles closer and closer to reduce the amount of walking required. I would then open my garage door, sit in a recliner with a drink and watch the activity unfold around me. At this point the theme music for The Young and the Restless television show would come on, 4:30pm. The deer would materialize from the woods as soon as they heard it, coming from 4 directions, in small 'families'. Each family led by a buck. Almost daily a battle would ensue at some point between the bigger bucks resulting in some blood shed and lost fur, the evidence obvious in the snow. The battles are short but violent with the two combatants rising up on their hind legs and clubbing each other in the head with their fore hooves. A blow makes an unsettling thump, too. Sometimes I would set up my video camera and film the altercations to prove to disbelievers what these beautiful, graceful creatures were capable of.<br>

As far as training my dog goes, the does are all pregnant at this time of year and easily exhausted if chased through the snow. They will often die as a result of a chase, not having the strength left to feed themselves normally when so tired. Last year while snowmobiling we counted 13 carcasses on the ice in a 15 kilometre stretch, chased there by wolves and dogs. There is still a law on the books here permitting the shooting of a dog engaged in a deer chase. My guy sits patiently on guard on the front porch while deer browse the front yard but he will not tolerate a fox, raccoon, porcupine or bear infiltrating his space. The wolves he just listens to in a perplexed kind of trance, never participating but so obviously dealing with an inner confusion.</p><div>00eKeU-567516384.jpg.97e13495fe059a5104f582d8e35f9d58.jpg</div>

<p>We have Mule Deer, herds of 12 - 18 passing through regularly, and usually comparatively mild / reasonable winters with plenty of fields and forage so even as Spring approaches the deer look healthy. The only dead I've seen are along the roads. As to feeding, the keeping just the bird feeders filled is both costly and a chore. Worthwhile though with the large variety of common birds and the occasional exotics that pass through. They must share info on "good restaurants". After a small flock last year, this year a large flock of Gray Crowned Rosy Finch which aren't supposed to frequent this area. We've even had a South American variety or two at the feeders. Good fun!</p>