Visico soft box experiences

<p>Has anyone used Visico soft boxes? Right now there is a vendor (oeccamera ) selling a range of sizes on eBay at very good prices.</p>

<p>I assume these aren't the same quality and durability of my Photogenic softbox, but the prices would allow me to add a couple of sizes that I might not be able to afford for years at Photogenic or Calumet prices. If they are likely to hold up for two or three years when used once or twice a month, I'd consider them a great deal. If the seams are going to pop the second or third time I set them up, or the stays snap, I'm not interested.</p>

<p>It looks like a big part of the savings is that they've got a source of cheap speedrings. Last I looked, a speedring for Photogenic was about $75, and they're selling a 2-meter octagonal softbox with egggrate for $112.</p>

<p>I'm completely comfortable with the idea of making money with something cheap for a couple of years and replacing it with better gear later, so I don't need lectures on the benefits of using good tools, but I would like to know if these are likely to fall completely apart before I can get my money's worth out them!</p>

<p>Van</p>

<p>PS Apropos of a couple of other threads, they also have a 41-cm beauty dish for $65 to $95 depending on the mount.</p>

<p>I never used them, but you better check that they fit on whatever flash head you are using. I looked the item up on eBay and it tooks like they fit the Alien Bees, WL, Balcar and other popular brands. By the look of them they are not as deep as the 24X36 softbox I got from Photogenics for Free as part of a rebate for buying one of their lighting kits. Another thing is that they were made in China. I'm not an expert in Chinese photographic products, but the stuff I did purchase from them(wireless remote for Canon/Macro rail kit) seem like somebody cut allot of corners to get keep the cost as low as possible and make big profits.</p>

<p>They do offer the same softboxes with mounts for a number of different head designs, I know I don't want to try to use one made for another brand. The listings of the Photogenic-style softboxes shows a detail of the speedring with a dimension - it looks right but I'll admit I didn't actually measure the Photogenic mount to confirm it's correct.</p>

<p>Van</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>For the limited investment I'd count their 200mm octobox as a good value. I've taken it on location a few times and it appears to be holding up quite well after being dismantled and rebuilt. The main difference between the Visico and Photoflex is the quality of light and the ability to control it. With the Visico you're limited to a silver interior diffused through a single white internal scrim and then the main white diffusion panel. For low dough, you just have to deal with an increased contrast shot.<br>

The weakest link in Visico's 200mm octo is definately the speedring. The outer portion containing the mounting rod holes is fine. But the rotating interior is really light/cheap aluminum. That means you're going to have to find some manner to support the weight of such a monster box. The retaining clips on my Balcar mono slipped right out, bending the ring in the process. Furthermore, the speedring is not threaded for receiving a light stand stud.<br>

But an entire 7' octobox w/grids for a delivered price less than the accessory grid alone from Photoflex ain't such a bad deal. I'm definately impressed with the overall quality. This is the only lighting control device I own that (provided I employ reflectors) will nicely illuminate a small group from a single light source.</p>

• 10 months later...
<p>Just received the 120cm [ 4ft ] Octobox. I chose this over the Photflex for acouple reasons. First was price. second was size. I was looking for a 4 ft and Photoflex only makes 3 , 5 or 7 ft models. I shoot with Flashpoint II's so there isn't a big selection of modifiers. The Visico is very well made for the price. Only problem I have is the speedring is difficult to catch onto the monolight and takes awhile. I may have to buy the Adorama verison and swap it out. The light it produces is very soft. I never used the better quality modifiers so I cannot compare. For an amature this softbox is more than good enough. It is huge.</p>