fredus

Hi there !

I'd like to buy a nice vintage light meter for a friend who is using

a lot of vintage stuff. I'm not too much into vintage and I don't

quite know what's my best bet. Can you give me some nice

recommandation ?

Thanks !

Fred

A Weston IV, V or VI would be best. The older ones aren't as sensitive. Quality LightMetric in Hollywood, CA can repair them or even put in a new cell. Try to get the Invercone with it. That's their incident light diffuser. An old Weston V is what I use 95% of the time.

I liked the old Weston Master in various incarnations, but the meter which I liked the best from the '50s era was the GE PR-1. It was easy to hand-hold with a locking PB to hold the reading. It could usually be found with an incident light attachment that worked well. I bounced both of mine too many times. Both of my Westons also gave out. There is another GE meter called the DW-58 that had a strong following even if it was not as convenient to use. If you wish more sophistication, look for a used Luna Pro. (Many versions available)

"Vintage" meters are like vintage dialysis machines: would you really want to use one? Look into a Sekonic L398M Studio Deluxe II. It's affordable, still in production, and is based on the venerable Norwood Director incident meter. A retro jewel that's deadly accurate and that actually works. Have a look at www.sekonic.com

Hi Fred,

How old is vintage? I have an old ligh meter but I don't know if it falls into the vintage category. Anyway, it is a Gossen LunaSix 3 with the tele attachment. I am satisfied with its performance and it has been measuring light for my dad first and now for me since he bought it new in the 60's.

Cheers,

Two things - the old Weston meters use Selenium cells which loose their sensitivity over time and they are not that sensitive to begin with - compared to the new Sekonic or Minolta meters.

Some of the old Gossen meters HAVE TO HAVE an old 1.35 Volt mercury battery - if you use 1.5 Volt without getting the meter re-calibrated it is significantly out - Gossen Lunasix.

I would go with a new digital meter.

The original poster, Fred, specifically wanted a *vintage* meter. The person who he's buying it for may well already *have* a new digital meter... the idea was to get something to match up to old cameras for someone who appreciates such things.

Bruce Feist

You might do a search for the following at EBay: "Gossen Luna Pro"

I owned one many years ago, and was quite satisfied with its performance. It's a more sensitive meter than the Weston, better for low light conditions. There is a current listing for one at Ebay, and you can see from the photo of it that it has the "retro" look associated with an earlier era of photographic equipment.