Vintage Cameras, plate, etc - old techniques?

<p>Hi all,<br>

<br />I have a project in mind where I would use very old cameras or developing techniques to photograph something that is fairly modern. The idea is to give something that we associate with modernity a sense of antiquity as achieved by using old technology. So I was hoping that the community could give me some ideas of cameras and techniques that I could use? Of course I could use digital and later add filters, but I would prefer to keep to analogue. My only limitations really would be cost. I can't afford to spend loads of money on rarities.<br>

<br />Best Regards,<br>

Ross</p>

<p>There are some good resources online. One of the most authoritative is Mark Osterman, process historian at Eastman House. Here's <a href="https://www.facebook.com/mark.osterman.3?fref=ts"><strong>his Facebook page link</strong></a>.</p>

<p>Even if you don't pursue those original processes, his sample photos will give you an idea of what an authentic earlier era photo looks like.</p>

<p>And if you Google <a href="http://www.alternativephotography.com/wp/">"alternative process photography"</a> you'll find many links. I used to have some good sites bookmarked but can't find those at the moment. One in particular had some excellent tips for hand making printing out paper, which is no longer readily available from any commercial supplier but the materials can still be had.</p>

<p>The cheapest and easiest alt proc printing technique is cyanotype, including the Sunprint papers readily available to educational and museum organizations. Just contact print a negative (or inkjet transparency) on the Sunprint or cyanotype paper, rinse it water to fix, and dry.</p>

<p>If that appeals to you, keep exploring the other alt proc stuff. It's enjoying a steady fanbase of devoted photographers so the info and materials are out there.</p>

<p>120 film is now over 100 years old. You can find cameras that use 120 film for very reasonable prices. <br>

Panchromatic black and white film is about 60 years old. It seems strange that color film is somewhat older than that. If you find orthochromatic 120 film, you will be darn close to what people were doing 100 years ago.<br>

(I am not sure when the transition from blue sensitive to ortho (blue and green) was made.)</p>

-- glen

<p>It depends how much effort you want to put into this aspect of the project and how much of a learning curve you are willing to climb. Simplest might be a 120 rollfilm camera which, as pointed out by glen, might be as early as 1900, but also much more recent. That would involve buying a working camera (easier than you might think, especially for the simpler ones like early Kodaks), loading up with 120 film of your choice and then getting it processed professionally. You might then add your own processing, and printing. A box camera would be cheap and fun but there are folding cameras as well. As long as you stick to 120 size that is pretty simple.<br /> A step up from that might be a plate camera with a 120 rollfilm back.<br /> Or you could go for something more complex such as a large format camera using film sheets, perhaps 5x4, or the more awkward sizes such as half plate or quarter plate. <br />....and so on upwards.<br>

An issue I can envisage is that even really old cameras can take reasonable pictures which would not necessarily look old. <br /> So how much time and effort do you want to put into this?</p>

• 2 months later...

<p>Contact printing from paper negatives to make albumin prints can be at the lower end of complexity and expense.</p>

<p>The internet is full of text and video. Avoid those who make it complex. </p>

<p>Or you could use Photoshop to approximate the same look.</p>

• 3 months later...