Village Scenes with Praktica

<p>We made a small tour of the historic Chola Landscape in Tanjavur District. It is on the Delta of the River Kaveri [aka Cauvery]. The Delta was created by an early Chola king Karikala around 2000 years ago. He built a check dam of stone masonry on the river and split it into six dis-tributaries and had dug extensive canals for irrigation of these lands. The Dam is still functional, was restored in 1920s with mechanical control gates. More about this later.<br /><br />On our way to view these monuments, great Temples of the Chola Empire, we came across many pretty village scenes. I am posting a few shots here; all the pictures were taken with one of my favorite Praktica Nova 1Bs with the Meyer Oreston 50mm f/1.8 lens and scanned in my old HP 3010 scanner. The film is ORWO UN54 developed in my home brew.<br /><br />This village, Pandanallur, is close to the banks of a major dis-tributary called Kollidam [Coleroon in the Latin maps]. Most villages in the Delta are famous for their talented people. Pandanallur was famous for its classical dance school. Most of the famous dance stars of Bharat Natyam camped in this village under primitive conditions and learnt their art, since 1900s till the 1970s. They came from all over the country.<br /><br />I would visit the place again and do a more detailed photo essay. <br /><br /></p><div>00cil8-549939684.jpg.8a202ac13ca8158494c9de7dd9b08231.jpg</div>

<p>Many farmers have small holdings. So they don't own tractors and farm machinery. These are owned by entrepreneurs or big farmers and loaned to small farmers on ploughing, sowing and harvesting seasons. The younger generation of school graduates seek employment in these mechanized outfits. Thus unskilled farm labour is getting to be in short supply.</p><div>00cilF-549939984.jpg.5db166d4b7afe511a43c3e373d5db85c.jpg</div>

<p>Very pleased to see another photo essay from you.<br>

You've outdone even yourself with this one, I think.</p>

<p>The "winter haze" does give a different feel from the tropical sun of many of your urban shots.<br>

BRAVO</p>