Vignetting on Eos 5D

riza_alirahman

Recently bought Cannon 5D with 24-105 IS lens, and found that vignetting are

noticeable in 24mm FL, this become more obvious when i attached CPL filter.

(See attached sample).

Back to Canon Reps. in my Country and Regional, and they all suggest me to use

Focal length higher than 24, or using Fstop higher than 8 to avoid vignet.

Anyone have any idea about my problem ? how come this Expensive Camera, has

this silly problem ?

I know this is the consequence of being Full frame, all the explanation and

reasoning i already receive from Canon Office, Asia Pacific region.

But Still, my simple question is remain un answered, how come Canon release

such "defect" product ?

No further response of my email regarding this from Canon.

Im a freelance Oil company facility photographer, and surely I need wide angle

photographs, but now my new Eos 5D are unuseable, vignetting from my point of

view are not acceptable.<div>00Gq9A-30421984.jpg.e8e2cf86e59a57804402333e23bcee2f.jpg</div>

ALL lenses vignette. It's just a matter of degree. The larger the format, the faster the lens and the shorter the focal length, the worse the vignetting is.

Vignetting is due to a number of factors including basic optics (no way around that one), lens construction (if you make it really big, really heavy and really expensive you can eliminate that factor) and sensor design (for digitals).

If it gets worse when you add a filter, you're using the wrong filter. Get a thinner one.

The answer - digitally correct the images.

Yes agreed Bob, so my conclusion is, when using Eos 5D:

1. Avoid shorter Focal length.

2. Avoid large Aperture

3. Avoid using regular filter, (look for thin one).

4. If still viggent occures, digitally correct the images.

For me, this is too much for a pro camera such EOS 5D.

My previous US$800 camera Konica Minolta Dynax 5D, using Super wide Tamron 11-18mm, f.4. With regular CPL hoya. No vignett at all.

But well, Full frame Camrea is my wrong choice i guess.<div>00GqAd-30422584.jpg.fdcc8ed858420a9df36746449beef018.jpg</div>

"Your camera doesn't have a problem, your lens has a "problem." If the problem were with the camera, stopping down or using a filter would have no effect."

Mike I tried to mount my 24-105mm L IS lens to my friend's EOS 20D, No vignetting at all, even using CPL Filter.

So its the Sensor of EOS5D is too large (aiming for full frame).

Canon should produce Lens larger than 77mm ring to overcome this i guess., what do you think.

It is starting to look as if Canon's lens designers are re-setting their priorities for digital, to put most of the emphasis on sharpness and less on controlling vignetting, CA and distortion. That's reasonable, because although sharpening algorithms can compensate for the effect of the anti-aliasing filter, they won't compensate for a lens with poor sharpness, whereas vignetting, CA, and distortion can all be corrected easily during post-processing. Indeed, vignetting is the easiest to correct, because no remapping of pixels is required - the only downside is a small reduction in dynamic range.

>>Mike I tried to mount my 24-105mm L IS lens to my friend's EOS 20D, No vignetting at all, even using CPL Filter.<<

Of course, because the 20D FRAME is ***CROPPED***! So, the edges are cutoff by the crop.

As for CPL filters, more effect is visible at corners when using a POLA on a wide angle lense. That means you cover a huge chunk of skies and the polarizer affect the image differently within the frame. Jsut try taking a picture of the sky using a pola filter on a super-wide lens with sun at your left, back, etc... You'll see how each angle is affected by the polarizer in different ways/degrees.

"But Still, my simple question is remain un answered, how come Canon release such

"defect" product ? No further response of my email regarding this from Canon."

Like others have said, the 5D does not vignette, your lens does. Actally the correct term is

light fall-off. All wide zooms and wide primes exhibit exhibit fall-off, although zooms

suffer more than primes. I have the same problem on my EOS 3, Elan 7NE and FM3A.

However, once the slide is mounted or the neg printed, the edges are cropped so you may

not notice light fall-off. With a DSLR people view the entire frame on a computer. If

you actually print an 8 x 10 or 11 x 14 you won't notice it, just like film.

Incidendally, I have a 5D and 24-105 4L USM and have yet to notice light fall-off in the

thousands of images I've taken. Normally the wide end of a zoom is used for sweeping

views and is stopped down to F8 to F16 for max DOF. It's an incredible camera and lens

combo, but it's a tool that requires basic knowledge and skills to get the most from it. If

you always need to shoot 24mm at F4, I suggest the EF 24 2.8 or EF 24 1.4L USM. Both

have less light fall-off and are clean by F4.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

"It is starting to look as if Canon's lens designers are re-setting their priorities for digital, to put most of the emphasis on sharpness and less on controlling vignetting, CA and distortion. That's reasonable, because although sharpening algorithms can compensate for the effect of the anti-aliasing filter, they won't compensate for a lens with poor sharpness, whereas vignetting, CA, and distortion can all be corrected easily during post-processing. Indeed, vignetting is the easiest to correct, because no remapping of pixels is required - the only downside is a small reduction in dynamic range."

agreed, those corrections are simply part of my workflow (my 35L vignettes, my 70-200IS vignettes, my 50 1.4 vignettes, my 17-40 vignettes, all of them on film as well as digital). It is possible to make lenses that don't vignette in normal use but I would find the compromises unacceptable. Whereas I find moving a slider during RAW conversion very acceptable. If I was a snooty artiste who required perfection directly out of camera with no post-processing, well... Perhaps try large format?

BTW all the reviews of the 24-105 mention this pretty prominently, and it was batted around for weeks when the lens was announced.

Giampi,

Either your image wasn't shot at f/4, or it was cropped, or heavily processed.

The "problem" isn't with the 5D, it's a problem with all wide angle lensesin particular and with lenses in general, and with lenses when used at large apertures. If you stop down this lens the problem is mitigated, as in Giampi's image.

Here's another image. Again, no fall-off visible with 24-70L at 24mm on the 5D.

Sometimes, with sun directly behind you (or wihin a 45 degree angle of your back) it is possible to experience slight, visible light fall off.<div>00GqGs-30425884.jpg.9fe2bd9e260dbbafbed36023b325fcfe.jpg</div>

Neither of these two images are cropped or processed other than to reduce them for PN and minimal USM. They were shot with the 5D and 24-70L, not the 24-105 but, they were posted to illustrate the point that it is NOT the camera/sensor, it's the lens.

Once again, light fall off is a LENS issue as old as photography itself. Nothing new.

Riza -- it's not the camera, it's the lens. Of course it doesn't happen on a 20D, you're

viewing only the center of the lens.

The 24-105 already has a reputation from a number of reviews for vignetting on FF cameras.

You could buy a "pro" 1Dmk2 and you still will get vignetting from that lens wide open.

I just bought a Ferrari and now I find you have to run it on premium gas and it only gets 12mpg, plus it's $600 for a tune up. My old Ford ran fine on regular, gave me 30mpg and a tune up was $49.95.

Why does Ferrari make defective cars?

Why is vignetting such a hard fact of photography to accept?

I'd say for those who complain about vignetting, you should switch over to shooting fashion. I always increase the vignetting affect to emphasize the model! : )

I wish canon makes L lenses for vignetting-crazed fashion photographers!

"I wish canon makes L lenses for vignetting-crazed fashion photographers!"

You can buy or make a filter for that if you don't want to PS.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I use the 5D and have vignetting with wide angle lens. However I shoot in RAW and convert in PS CS2 Bridge which lets you correct for the vignetting when you convert. You set it up and save the conversion settings, and the problem is solved.

I use a setting of +15 (Vignetting) for the Canon 17-40 and the Sigma 15-30 to eliminate it.