Vignetting in Cokin system

podstawek

Hi everyone,

I have started experimenting with long-time exposures, and would like to use a filter system that would not cause

vignetting with the following equipment:

- full frame camera

- 20 mm focal length

- 72 mm diameter filter thread

I would like to put at least 2 but preferably 3 different filters in front of the lens (polarized + natural grey + graduated

grey).

Is there a filter holder/system that would make it possible without vignetting? I currently use Cokin (I think this is

"Cokin P", but I am not sure), and it holds 3 filters very well, but the holding frame is clearly visible even when I frame

the picture before taking, not to mention the final image.

I've been trying to hold the filters by hand in front of the lens, but it becomes very difficult with exposures of several

minutes and above.

Any advice would be appreciated.

from a picture quality point of view, I wouldn't want 6 more air/filter boundaries to have light bouncing around.

I'd consider losing the GND and go w/ bracketed/HDR/blending.

fyi, Singh-Ray is in final testing of a combination VariND/CPL filter. $$$$$$ even by their lofty standards :(

Howard and Ellis, thank you very much for your responses.

I think I'll go for the Lee system.

I know more filters means less quality, but the 3-filter combination was an extreme example, only to show the most extreme requirement. In most cases I will use 1 filter; but even with one filter the vignetting effect in my current Cokin system is just the same due to the holder construction.

Once again, thank you for your advices.