Viewing stereophotography on 3D smart TV?

<p>There's got to be an app!</p>

<p>Our LG smart TV reverses the polarization of each row of pixels for 3D viewing. It's of course possible to view ordinary 2D still photos on the TV, and each successive row would have polarization reversed. Perhaps there is some app that interleaves 2 channels of info into a single channel for viewing on an LG 3D TV? I suppose I could do that in PS, but it would really be a pain in the rear. It would take a bit of experimenting to get the correct channel to the correct eye, displayed at native resolution, without interpolation.</p>

<p>Surely there's an app! Yes? Or am I the only person who wants to do this?</p>

Sarah, check the specs on the Fuji Real 3D camera. Supposed to have software support for 3-D Tvs. I bought the camera when on sale. But no 3-D TV yet. One day. I saw the LG at Best Buy, Great stereo picture. There is some standard for the image display, but I don't recall what it is exactly or whether it is a true universal standard. Google for the Fuji camera on manufacturer site and get more specifics. Mine was the old impulse purchase. Of course I never have many of them, as we all know:-) Aloha and best wishes, Gerry

PS. Also. Look to buy the newly released 3-D Blu Ray version of musical Kiss Me Kate. Considered the finest of the 1950 movies and was MGM's big money production. Cole Porter songs....The works. I will come over and bring the beer and chips...and my Fuji....

<p>When they find the archived second-camera film for <em>Them</em> (1954) and release a 3-D disk for it, then I will immediately buy a 3-D TV.</p>

<p>Otherwise as one who been been around the carrousel too many times as an old 3-D nut, I remain skeptical still.<br>

I hope, but am reluctant to put more bucks into my interest in 3-D. There have short-term revivals of 3-D photography at irregular intervals since the US Civil War, but not yet, not yet.....</p>

<p>Thanks, guys! :-)</p>

<p>Gerry, I didn't know there was such a thing as a modern, digital, 3D camera! Very cool! Unfortunately I'm a fiddly sort of person. One of the things I want to fiddle with is the distance separating the two images, which I think would be a cue that scales the perception of object size. Imagine, for instance, putting a camera down low and close to a cat, photographing it in tiny format (e.g. iPhone) with maybe 1 cm distance between channels. Will the cat become a huge, furry monster?</p>

<p>Even so, the camera does have appeal. There are also a number of more affordable film cameras from times gone by that I might enjoy having in my collection. And in fact I once made a stereo camera out of a couple of cheap "Nintindo"-branded P&S 35mm cameras I found on clearance somewhere. I mounted them bottom-to-bottom and made a shutter release linkage that allowed me to trip both shutters at the same time.</p>

<p>My main motivating factor right now is that I already have the 3D TV. The 3D feature is of the passive variety, so it really didn't add much cost. We've owned the TV for a couple of years now, and I have only now watched a feature-length film on it. My son was visiting, so we broke out his Play Station and watched Superman in 3D. The movie was "meh," but the 3D was really quite good. Unfortunately, 3D offerings are still very meager and pitched mostly at kids. I've got to look for "Kiss me Kate!," and I'd love to see "Avatar" come out on Netflix. And JDM, I'd love to see some of those old Sci-Fi flicks in 3D! I'd enjoy having both of you in my living room for a 3D Fest! I've got 6 pairs of glasses and more Boy Scout popcorn than I can ever manage to consume by myself.</p>

<p>I did find some 3-D versions of <em>It Came from Outer Space</em> (1953), but none of them were for the polarized version for TV. Anaglyphic (red/green) versions.<br>

If you were a little closer to me, you couldn't keep me away from the Sarah Film Fest. :)</p>

Sarah, Panasonic markets or did market a camera with lenses that are cat distance friendly. A few stereo lovers have decided to buy both. No not a cat, I mean two cameras... l enjoy a good theater movie in 3-D but as we know there have been few worth a dime. Avatar and Toy Story 3 were fun and had good depth. I wear glasses so I don't understand those who are so bothered by the lighter version of polarized glasses and look for a glasses free system which is still off the horizon.

The biggest problem in movie film seems to be correcting in projection for real light loss and color dilution from the use of the polarization process. Not so in the flicker type but then that is for road show and exhibition display.

Another old movie I would like to see is House of Wax now out in Blu Ray stereo. Also look for the release of the movie Inferno. I haven't seen that since the '50s but I recall it had some great 3-D. The movie Hondo with John Wayne is one of the other goodies in the vault. Sci Fi genre had a couple too. Creature from Black Lagoon for one.

There is an active niche community of stereo nuts, and they hold conferences annually and publish mags w 3-D photos for free vision. International ISU and USA NSA. Some fun stuff is done by the amateur community. Lack of a stereo system with full controls and viewing ease is still lacking as JDM states. (I own several Stereo Realists that are still usable. But I have moved so far from film and all.)...

.Enjoy your LG as I plan to get one when the 4K 3-D models come down some and the resolution goes up to full scans. And I find a big enough nook for it ...Aloha, Gerry

<blockquote>

<p>It's of course possible to view ordinary 2D still photos on the TV, and each successive row would have polarization reversed.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>What did you mean Sarah by this? I'm thinking of getting a new UHDTV with 3D. Will I have a problem showing my regular 2D stills or my digital movies? Will the colors, etc. be OK?</p>

<p>Alan, LCD monitors work by polarizing the light anyway. Unless you're viewing the screen through circular polarization filters (which would drop out one set of rows or the other), you wouldn't notice anything different from an ordinary LCD screen. The colors look great, and the 2D image is great. A 3D set operates in either 2D or 3D mode, depending on the signal and the settings. So ordinary viewing will be pretty much the same as any other LCD TV.</p>

<p>BTW, I did find this piece of software:</p>

<p>http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Graphic/Graphic-Editors/StereoPhoto-Maker.shtml</p>

<p>I haven't played with it yet, but it looks like it might do what I'm needing.</p>

<p>I'm looking forward to the day when Netflix assembles a more interesting collection of 3D films, but I note there are now a few cheesy horror flicks that might be fun. Y'all are invited! Come on over to Virginia! ;-)</p>

Sarah, I see COSTCO has dropped 3-D TVs. If and when I buy another TV it will be 4K will seek one has capability of airing 3-D Blu Ray discs with light glasss. Just two years ago, 3-D was hot hot and now it is just warmed over oatmeal.... Actually, my own feeling is that stereoscopic filming and stills has missed its mark. Can you not imagine learning physics, spherical geometry, organic chemistr and the motion of the solar system by actual depth display. Yeah nudes look nice too:-) And more- looking into archeological digs and the Louvre statues in depth. Well, an earlier generation did and the card stereos common and gave folks a reason to pay Geographic photogs to climb pyramids and how about exploering underwater caves with them now?.

Will virtual reality become the next new thing or a fad?..I think gamers would say YES, groovy. Hey, I still have two eyes, and I see comments like " Wow that photo looks almost like3-D." Not everyone enjoys good stereopsis, Could be those are the ones who may be causing them fenderbenders! I jest but it has a smidgin of possibility. )

Thing is that shooting in depth takes a different mindset does it not, forget the bokeh nonsense, and like video DSLR video it is a special learning and special effort. Thus we have movies that just add to the action by throwing the severed head out of the screen., blah...whoops I got started ranting again on my ranterino subject.

If the Learning Company switches their DVD offerings to 3-D I will rush -not walk- to get a Bravia set with glasses and darken the LR. I shoot stills but I can switch and enjoy a 3-D movie just as well. Flat painting vs sculpture and we can enjoy both I think....

Aloha, be well, do good work, and keep in touch..nice sentiment from the poet.

Postscript: Check this out to see how the other half ok the survivalist crowd gets together. Well some dudes still 'roll their own." Huh?

http://www.3dkiss.org/?page_id=31

Only 9 hours from Honolulu. Closer in time travel than Virginia Beach:-) Stereo Photo Maker is legendary freeware. Odd that it was developed only for Windows. I like my Yosemite thanks.

<p>Yes, it's coming! It's going to be the next huge thing! Or not. I went to a museum the other day and saw some late 19th Century stereo photography, used to amuse people at the same time in history as the "magic lantern" with hand-painted slides. Ah well...</p>

<p>Perhaps if the equipment were more commonplace. I think the monitor with alternating directions of polarity (from alternating directions of current flow) is not particularly exotic/difficult a design, so perhaps all LCD monitors could have this capability? And perhaps when we buy polarized sunglasses (for driving/boating), they could have circular lenses and one lens that will rotate 90 deg for 3D usage? The only problem with this notion is that polarized glasses rely on linear polarization, and the 3D monitors put out circular. However, I think they would be just as capable of linear output, with the omission of a quarter-wave layer.</p>

Sarah, you may be interested in a slide bar for doing still stereo work at variable inerocular distances, I bought this at a trade show.. REAL dangerous places them trade shows! for such as me........the slide bar is solid aluminum with a roller block that slides and locks in place.

I gussied it up with a quick release and an old clamp from the old heavy duty Foba ball head I bought at a trade show ( stop me before I do it again)...

it has a dual purpose in that I can slide the camera sidewase as a slide short slide that is for some video movement. Boy have I collected some stuff over the years. I do not dare do any eBay prowling. Jasper Engineering in California guy still keeps a web site but he stopped making these fine slide bars. Manfrotto has something, but if we all e mail him maybe he will resume mfr....I tried, but he has not resumed yet. Novoflex makes some, as does RRS. But I paid 90 dollars for this nice piece of metal work. If I were a machinist like some of the moderators, or a craftsman like person like you, it would not be too much to mill a slide bar out of aluminum.

No I can't agree, Alan, bandwith is an issue now is so, but it is a self inflicted wound a corporate political move. Meaning to my view ,the companies that serve us and charge for their copper and fiber pipes are way behind world standards and don't even deliver what they can and charge for. It may be academic since 3-D has lost the glitter of an Avatar, but the data stream is easily achieved, with an investment of corporate willpower.

Noe,Whether Netflix will or does rent 3-D movies I never checked. Can they and squeeze more from the gang? They charge a premium for Blu Ray though I am unaware that it costs more to press a Blu Ray disc? I do already get p-o'd when some Netflix discs arrive without the interesting little extras and say Rental Disc only...whah.

This is horsehocky of the same ilk when tapes and discs were copy encoded....we should want to burn a hundred copies that were identical to the original of course, and different country codes for what reason maybe someone can tell me. Internet music and MP 3 has shown that our ears and eyes fill in the lack of sampling so any decent copy is a fine copy or fine enough copy. I mean we bought it and we are all honest scouts, right? Mama taught us virtue in such matters. Never lie about age and never step ahead in a queue....etc.

Now I may overstate. But not much and I am ready to strip to the waist this St Paddy's day and give the O' Siegel arm wrestle to any lady who challenges me re the foregoing dictum.

Winner gets a Black and Tan. ( A pint of half and half Guiness Stout and Bass Ale)

PS: I will reshoot the photo of the camera slide bar and see if it gets accepted by this system, maybe my OMD has gremlinized me again. Cannot troubleshoot when the page says it does not accept my format and I should back up or have a beer....with a bagel and a schmear..

Aloha and good tidings Alan, Gerry

<p>Interesting thread, I've done a little bit of 3D to figure out how it worked. Started by shooting two photos with lateral displacement. Didn't have a slide bar so just used the so called Cha-Cha method, a step sideways. It helps a lot if there's nothing in the close foreground, and nothing is moving, otherwise the very different images cause eye strain. Stereophoto Maker software was used to turn the two JPGs into a file the 3D TV could read. Link --> http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/index.html</p>

<p>My experience is that this method is best for landscapes, shooting anything moving needs a proper 3D camera or two identical cameras and lenses, coupled together. This is what GoPro does for their 3D system. I'm tempted to buy another GoPro 4 just so I could shoot HiDef stereo video, both 1080 and 4K. If you shoot your stereo pairs with a wider spacing you get into what some people call Hyper-3D. Shots of distant mountains are simply amazing in Hyper-3D.</p>

<p>The TV I use is a Panasonic plasma screen with I.R. controlled shutter glasses. I believe they run the glasses at 240 Hz to reduce flicker. When I got the unit several years ago the LCD screens maxed out at 120 Hz.</p>

<p> </p>

I redid my shot to illustrate what a purpose built slide bar looks like. This one was made by Jasper Engineering and I added a clamp for my cameras with the arca swiss style plates. Very smooth and solid aluminum, with plastic roller block that fits groove and that glide easily and has a lock pin. Jasper I must add is currently out of production. Novoflex and RRS are too costly for most of us but are well machined, and I expect Manfrotto will do the job for much much less.... I paid ca $ 95.00 ten years ago for this baby...

Yet anyone with some machine equipment skill can make something on the same order out of aluminum stock and I have seen home made ones that look fine. ( never learned to cha cha, but I tango well....:-). Yes, the software for PCs matches the two images pretty well. Also I may try this beast as a video slider for short slides. I wonder.......hmmm

One can shoot macro closeups too of still objects with reduced slide base and there is a rule attached to measure the center of each camera movement. I tried to order another slide block with idea of having two cameras but alas out of stock....still experimenting. No way at the moment to deal with images except to figure out what to do in photo shop I expect. I am a MAC OS user , one of them.<div>00dCAu-555818284.jpg.058405e5b0f689c81be4ffb7499a72a6.jpg</div>