Viewing frame question

gene m

I read an article somewhere about using a viewing frame to

approximate focal length while composing a photo. The viewing frame

is merely a piece of cardboard with a cut out that matches your film

size. Do you guys know what focal length equals holding the frame at

arms length ?

I made mine by cutting out a 4x5 hole in a piece of black foam core board and then attached a string at the bottom of the card which had indelible ink marks at 90mm, 150mm, and 240mm from the attachmnet point of the string to the card. These are the lengths of my lenses. I then hold the appropriate ink mark on the string to the bone just under my eye and hold the card out as far as this will allow and then have a pretty good frame for that lens. See what you think...

<p>Take a look at <a href="http://www.rbarkerphoto.com/misc/FramingAid1-500.jpg">mine</a>, Gene. The knots in the cord are tied sequentially at a distance equal to the focal length of your lenses from the board, and held against the cheek for viewing (one eye closed). The inside dimensions are those of the actual image area on 4x5, but 4x5 would be close.</p>

You could always buy the Adorama viewing card (I think that's what they call it) for about $10. It has a focal length tape attached. You hold the card at whatever distance you want for the composition you want, then read the focal length to achieve that composition from the tape. They make them for different film sizes. The one I use has 4x5 focal lengths on one side of the tape and 8x10 on the other. If you really want to get serious about this, buy the Linhof multi-focus finder for about $1,400 new.

Rather than use a viewing card, I use a view finder amputated from a Polaroid pack film camera series 100, 200, 300, or 400, see http://www.rwhirled.com/landlist/landhome.htm for reference). A model with separate view and rangefinder is best. It is lightweight, rugged, and easily fits in a shirt pocket. The field of view is approximately that of a normal to slightly wide lens. I bought the camera for about $2 in a thrift store.