Viewfinder image quality of SX10 IS

<p>The SX10 IS looks like a nice lightweight alternative to my DSLR with 18-200 VR and 70-300 VR. My concern is the quality of the electronic viewfinder. The ones that I've seen so far aren't very good. I don't expect the same IQ or viewfinder IQ of my DSLR's, but just how good or bad is it?</p>

<p>From Dpreview I see that the SX1 has just a 148,000 pixel EVF. Hardly sate of the art. This is less than 70% of my somewhat old Panasonic FZ50 so if the SX10 has the same viewfinder as the SX1 I would rate it as hardly wonderful. HOWEVER I suggest that a major difference between shooting with a DSLR and a Pro-sumer is that assuming the camera has spot focusing one uses AF rather than manual focusing and this most of the time is no great problem or hassle. In difficult conditions both systems are difficult and sometimes AF simply will not find focus but that is rare. I don't know what you are likely to be shooting but I suggest you get used to the pro-sumer way of using AF rather than wanting to manually focus .. Personally I rate the DSLR behind my pro-sumers for ease of use for most subjects, largely becuase of the EVF.<br>

I think there is only one camera with a good EVF suitable for focusing with, and this Is I think one of the mini 4/3 cameras where they have used a 1.4Mp finder out of their video camera from what I think I read awhile back.</p>

<p>Thank you for the fast responses. I would be using it for family and for street shooting. My main concern is the ability to frame with it. My wife's Nikon P80's viewfinder is not that great. I'd rate it as barely acceptable. It sounds like the SX10 IS is worth considering.</p>

<p>Thanks again.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone. I bought the SX10 IS yesterday (Monday) and I love it. The EVF is much better than the one on my old (if 3 years can be considered old) Fuji S6000AF and even a little better than my wife's Nikon P80. I'm going to use it for family shots, travel light outings, and some street shootings. It's very sharp and has good noise control for a P&S. I expect it to get a lot of work, but my DSLR outfit will still do the heavy lifting (pun intended).</p>