View-lens-adaptation

michael_przewrocki2

<p>A few years back, I described how I did something like this, adapting the lens cells from a couple of modern Bronica SQ PS lenses into the shutters & barrels of some old Mamiya Press lenses. Most smaller view-camera lenses use a size 0 shutter, as do the lenses of the Mamiya Press and Mamiya TLRs, Bronica SLRs, Hasselblads, Rollies, etc. So their lens cells just screw into the front and rear of the shutters of the Press lenses. You just need an adjustable lens spanner.</p>

<p>The tricky part is getting the lens at the right distance from the body to reach at least infinity focus if not to cover the full focal range. Ways to do this are:<br>

1) choose the appropriate Press "host lens"...obviously there are short and long barrelled ones;<br>

2) the collapsible 90 and 100 mm lenses give an extra degree of distance variation;<br>

3) there are sets of different length extension tubes and even back spacers.</p>

<p>The adapted lens will not be rangefinder coupled (unless by coincidence it has the same focal length as the "host lens" had, and no tubes etc. are used). So focus is either by hyperfocal setting, or by what you might call "calibrated guesstimation", or for best results by using a ground-glass back. </p>

• 2 years later...
<p>A few years back, I described how I did something like this, adapting the lens cells from a couple of modern Bronica SQ PS lenses into the shutters & barrels of some old Mamiya Press lenses.</p>

Excuse the reply to an old post, but I hope you could tell me more about your adaptation of Bronica lenses to Mamiya Press lens mounts. In particular, will these Bronica lenses (e.g. Nikon Nikkor P 75mm f/2.8 Zenza Bronica Lens) cover 6x9? 6x7?

I am looking for a relatively fast (f2.8 - f3.5), relatively normal (80mm - 127mm) lens that will cover 6x9 wide open. I have been looking at the following:

1. 80mm f2.8 Zeiss Planar for Graflex XL (some vignetting at 6x9, I hear, but pictures on Flickr look mostly fine)

2. 100mm f2.8 Mamiya Press (Planar clone). Excellent lens I hear. Not cheap. Single coated.

3. 100mm f3.5 Mamiya Press. (Tessar clone?). Not quite like the Planar & variants. Newest iteration is multicoated. Price good.

4. 100mm f2.8 Zeiss Planar. Expensive.

One variable I don't have a handle on is the relative size and weight of these lenses. It is potentially a concern.

I would be modifying these lenses to fit on a Horseman Convertible -- a fairly compact MF camera using Horseman backs. I'd like one lens for this camera that would allow me to take some pictures at a reasonable shutter speed handheld. The standard lens, a 62mm Horseman is maximum f5.6, and f11 for 6x9 coverage.

Thanks!

Tom, there are many ~ 100 mm lenses that will cover 2x3. Its the normal focal length for the format. But ~ 100 mm lenses that cover and are faster than f/4.5 or so are scarce. Look into lenses for the Graphic XL system, 95/2.8 Heligon and 95/3.5 Ysarex were offered for it.

The lenses you mentioned are all in shutter. It isn't clear that any can be made to work on a Convertible's focusing mount. Have you thought about this?

I've used aerial camera lenses in barrel on a 2x3 Speed Graphic. 4"/2.0 TTH, scarce and expensive these days. 100/2.5 Uran-27, uncommon and less expensive but not cheap. Neither can be put in shutter so neither will do for you. Both are uncomfortably heavy on a 2x3 Pacemaker Speed Graphic. There's a 120/2 S.F.O.M. used on the S.F.O.M. 680 and 681 cameras (I hope I remembered the designations correctly, may not have) and a 125/2 Xenon for the Volk Handkammer. Hens' teeth. There are very few f/2 or f/2.8 lenses longer than around 100 mm. If f/3.5 will do for you, look for f/3.5 (in alphabetical order), Skopars, Tessars and Xenars.

Dan,

Thanks. It’s really good to know that my range of choices is a bit broader than I thought.

The lenses you mentioned are all in shutter. It isn't clear that any can be made to work on a Convertible's focusing mount. Have you thought about this?

The Convertible has a removable lens board. Although only one lens was ever made for it, I have seen a picture and a description of a lens, in a different shutter and helical, mounted on a plastic board that slides into the Convertible’s mount.

That inspired me. If the rear elements don’t extend into the space between the board and film, a lens could be mounted on a board and it will slide in and out, like the original lens/board.

Alternatively, I could fabricate a board that stays in place, but would accept the Mercury Works 3D printed parts - spacers, helical for view lens in shutters or the 3D printed Mamiya Press mount. I could also use the Mercury camera body and I’m done once I get the lens.

I often wonder if I should have just bought a nice 6x9 folder, or a press camera, or a Makina, but I‘m enjoying learning about cameras, lenses and this relatively new world of 3D printing. 3D printing materials accessible to the hobbyist are perhaps not the best for cameras, but they can work with proper design.

I thank all the folks who share their knowledge and experience on these fora.