view camera disadvantages

kellie_doty

Can anyone help me answer this question? (We are using a new version of a text in class, but the companion

website has not yet been updated, so some questions that were answered in the older text are not covered in the

new one & I cannot find the answer to this one online.)

All of the following are disadvantages to using a view camera except:

it takes longer to set it up

it is hard to fill the frame with a distant subject.

it is loud because of the shutter mechanism.

it is not good to use for sports photography

Use a telephoto lens like anyother camera.

Shutter is more quiet than anything except a Leica cloth shutter.

Sports are only out because you can not get to the right place to take the picture.

The real disadvantage is slow to set up, handling separate pieces of film, weight and bulk.

If your subject matter allows use of a view camera, the pictures will be superior.

This is a test question, right?<P>

All of the following are disadvantages to using a view camera except: <P>

A. it takes longer to set it up<BR>

B. it is hard to fill the frame with a distant subject. <BR>

C. it is loud because of the shutter mechanism.<BR>

D. it is not good to use for sports photography<P>

I would check C.

James G. Dainis

B. is not a good answer for one reason. A frame filling shot that one could get with a 35mm film camera using a 400mm lens would require a 1200mm lens on a 4x5 view camera and a 2400mm lens on an 8x10 view camera. There aren't too many of them around, not the sort of thing most view camera users would normally have, thus it is hard to fill the frame with a distant subject using a normal 150mm lens with a 4x5 view camera or a normal 300mm lens with an 8X10 view camera.<P>

Extra credit:<BR>

How long a focal length is 2400mm in feet?<BR>

What diameter aperture opening, in inches, would be needed to get f/16 with a 2400mm lens?

James G. Dainis

Reading it as an exam question (as set out above by James),

I too would answer: C.

As an aside comment, having set exam questions, I personally believe this is bordering on the silly style of multiple choice question, which is convoluted and is asking the negative.

Multiple choice questions, IMO should be testing the ability and knowledge of the subject matter, not the ability of the candidate to circumnavigate convolutes of the written language.

Ah! The extra credit questions I cannot resist . . . :)

Hints for extra – extra credit

1.) Most likely, if such a lens were made in imperial measure, it would be made a fraction longer, as it is so close to exactly . . .

2a.) And if the lens were made a little longer, to suit exact imperial measure, that makes D= f/N, a really nice number.

2b) And for the pedants, D=f/N (relating to the actual ``aperture`` diameter) assumes that there is zero front element magnifications.

WW

Answer is C. the moment you press the shutter, the mirror locks up and therefore you no longer have a view of your subject;

which if it is a sports subject, will no longer be in your viewing frame.

I have had number of view cameras and the shutter noise or vibration has never been an issue.

My 5X4 view camera does have one big disadvantage. the image is upsidedown and horizontally reversed. It is horrible to try

to set-up for low light subject and you have to stand on your head to get a good idea of what the final image might look like.

Use to make me dizzy just trying.........

I don't understand the mirror comment either but I thought it may be in reference to an SLR camera with mirror lock up. With a view camera, you compose the shot on the ground glass with the shutter open, close the shutter, insert the film holder and remove the dark slide. If you are moving the view camera around, you have no idea of what will fall on the negative unless you are using a separately mounted viewfinder such as a Kalart. The old Speed Graphics used film holders and cut film like a view camera. They had a rectangular wire metal sports finder that one would use to aim the camera in the general direction of the action.
James G. Dainis

• 2 weeks later...