Videographers?

ni_gentry

Is it just me, or does anyone else get a lot of emails out of the blue from videographers asking for

business? It seems like lately it's at least one a week. People finding my website, getting my email thru

this forum, or from who knows where...<p>

Nothing against videographers. We all have to work. But I don't know any photographers who send out

emails to videographers or other vendors doing this kind of thing... or do they? Maybe I'm missing out,

but I've only contacted vendors who I've already met or had some other direct contact. I don't "cold call".

Seems kind of desperate / tacky ... especially when the emails are clearly form letters.

<p>

Again, nothing against videographers... I like making use of their video light on the dance floor... as long

as they can stay out of shot :-)

I guess another thing that makes it odd is that they seem to be trying to piggy-back on my

marketing/sales efforts..... "...if you're client needs a videographer..." ... don't they have the

same channels available to find clients without asking me. Am I being too critical? I'll admit,

it wouldn't be the first time... at least I'm honest.

Sounds to me like an effort to network with you.....and sounds pretty smart. If it opens the door to a more personal relationship then it could be quite nice. If it justs keeps their company name in the back of your mind then that's something worthwhile to them too. Yea, I think you're being too critical. If anything, you can accept it as a form of flatterry.....course, you've now just labled them as desperate/tacky on a public internet forum.

Under today's circumstances with profits getting thinner and competition getting stiffer year after year, NETWORKING is the way to go if you want to survive in this "cut-throat" industry. I believe some call this "STRATEGIC ALLIANCE." Like caterers, florists, limousine services, and wedding planners, videographers add another "tentacle" to your network. I don't see videographers competing with your photography business since they're two different products. In fact, they even complement your business in the same manner as your album designers and printers.

The only apprehension with videographers lately is they seem to be getting better and better these days with all the new gadgetry and gizmos from hardware to software.

And the scary part : The brides are getting to love them much more than still photography. In some parts of the world like Asia, videography plays a primary role during weddings with still photography playing a minor role (formal poses & portraiture).

It's really how you look at videography in the wedding industry. Like I said, brides are now taking notice of their products and do like what they see.

I'm guilty, Ni. We do photo and video. Photo seems to be #1 on people's lists of wedding to-do's.

I LOVE to network - I see people's work and love to see different styles and techniques, both for photo and video.

I also love to help clients find the best of everything - I don't want any client to get average photos nor average video. Hence my passion to network with good professionals on this forum.

On the video side, I get quite a few people seeking to work with - asking if I have any upcoming weddings for which there is a photo need. I've made some of my best professional friends through forums like this one that provide opportunities for connections that I wouldn't have made otherwise.

Anyway, my two cents.

A Picture speaks a thousand words; video tells the rest of the story. Both are essential for full coverage. If you could see video of your parent's wedding or a still shot of the same day, which would you choose? Both are priceless, but you see the difference in experience with each medium.

Anyway, I'm babbling.

I appreciate your post and your sincerety in inquiry.

Eric

I think it's great that they are trying to network with you and maybe you should do the same and send out emails to other videographers in the area. I would imagine that they get asked quite a lot for recommendations of photographers. We do both services... and I think they are a great paired match!