Video test and review of D7100 and buffer depth and speed

t._zenjitsuman

<p>I found this review of the D7100 which included an in depth test of<br>

how fast the FPS were with different speed memory cards.<br>

I think this would be of general interest. It also reviews the menus<br>

and controls.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut99g9lJIkI">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut99g9lJIkI</a><br>

Nice someone took the time to do this for free.</p>

<p>Thanks, T. Zen. regardless of fastest memory card vs slowest, the fps most you can get is what the d7100 allows. which sucks, but it's good enough. hopefully the D400, whenever it comes out, will be the ultimate in sports/wildlife photography.</p>

<p>This review is spot on. The d7100 is an incredible camera except for the obvious. the buffer sucks. Since I stopped shooting equestrian events and hockey games buffer depth and fps have not been priorities for me. I do mostly studio and location work as well as some landscape and still life work. That being said I think that this camera is one of the best values available on the market today. The sensor is clearly outstanding as is the 51 point autofocus system. I have the feeling that Nikon will combine the fantastic qualities of this camera with a deep buffer and high fps in the very near future and it will be a kick ass instrument. I might also comment that the high ISO capability of this camera is simply outstanding.</p>

<p>-Cheers</p>

<p>That video is one hours and 12 minutes. That is way too long.</p>

<p>The D7100's buffer is shallow as a sports camera; that is obvious. However, as long as you use a fast memory card and compressed RAW, you can work around that. I have plenty of birds in flight images in my D7100 portfolio to demonstrate it: <a href="/photodb/folder?folder_id=1052968">http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=1052968</a></p>

<p>In particular, if you are willing to use the 1.3x crop mode, you can shoot at 7 fps for many frames. However, I don't particular like that crop mode. Precise framing is usually not easy in action photography so that I would rather have more room to crop. Therefore, I would rather have the full 24MP in my captures.</p>

<p>Additionally, for shooting sports big time, I am not sure that little D7100 body is going to hold up, nor something like the D300 would for that matter. If I were a full-time sports photographer, I would rather have the construction of something like a D4 or D3S.</p>

<p>I agree with Shun, the video should have been divided into shorter separate videos.<br>

The part most here will want to see, the flash card test starts at time mark 22 minutes 50 seconds.<br>

I think that seeing and hearing these demonstrations is almost as valuable as the final results.<br>

My feeling is that its not as bad as many said it was. How many sports shooters can't get<br>

by just as well in Jpeg Fine Large. Its raw that Nikon I am sure was an oversight in testing.<br>

I was at the WPPI in Vegas and I told the Nikon Reps about the first tests on the web<br>

and they didn't believe me and tested Raw lossless 14 bit in front of me and I saw and <br>

heard them surprised. In fact one rep called over another rep to witness the camera<br>

buffer running out of space and just about halting. Watch the test which has several<br>

cards and several different set-up options tested. Quite a nice job done here.</p>

<p>After this card test, there is a menu setup segment that could be useful for D80, D90<br>

and up users who would learn all about the many features of D7100 that those older<br>

cameras don't have.</p>

<p>The end of the video is a long video and still gallery that I felt was a waste of time.</p>

<p>No offense, but why waste your time on that video? The following image is all you need to know about memory cards for the D7100 if you tend to shoot a lot of images in quick succession so that you want to use fast memory cards to gain write speed.</p>

<p>If you don't need such speed, just get a cheaper SanDisk or Lexar.</p>

<p>I have no relationship with SanDisk or Lexar, just a happy customer.</p><div>00bilx-540655384.jpg.41322f5ac16ca0c5838dce45eb5eacfa.jpg</div>