Video Rig for Canon 7D

kyle_hickman

<p>Hi everyone,</p>

<p>I'm getting into video with my Canon 7D and was looking for a few tips or suggestions. I'd like a shoulder rig to help with smooth handheld shots, hopefully one with a follow focus ring. It looks like ePhoto has a decent one, but are there other, maybe better options in the same price range?</p>

<p>Additionally, I'd like an external mic that I can mount on camera. I'm leaning towards an Opteka VM-200, but as with the rig, does anyone know of better options around the same price?</p>

<p>I think these two items will provide a great starter kit for video, but if someone has other suggestions for items I should look into, please let me know!</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Kyle</p>

<p>Hi Kyle - welcome to the world of DSLR video! You've chosen a couple of very good value-for-money options for your ePhoto shoulder rig & follow focus and, especially that <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-VM-200-Condenser-Microphone-Camcorders/dp/B007QV1E7Y?tag=battleforthew-20">Opteka mic</a>. One caveat - please make sure you download the <a href="http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/EOS7D_firmware">latest Canon firmware upgrade for the 7D</a> in order to get manual control of your audio level. Otherwise, the floor noise from Automatic Gain Control will negate any benefit you might gain from your terrific new mic.<br>

Good luck and best of the holidays,<br>

Bill<br>

<a href="http://hybridcamerarevolution.blogspot.com">Hybrid Camera Revolution</a></p>

<p>Kyle -- If you're serious enough about video that you're looking for a mounting rig and follow focus, etc., then you don't want a mic on the camera. <br />I did feature film production classes at NYU for a couple of years, including sound classes. In almsot any kind of video or film work, you want the mic on or very close to the subject. Generally a tieclip mic for sit-down interviews. A handheld mic for standup interviews or at a podium. Shotgun mic on a boom for things where you don't want the microphone to be scene or can't get close enough otherwise. Professional video cameras often have a short shotgun mic mounted on the camera, but it's for general ambient sound or run-and-gun situations where you don't have time for anything else. Really more "better than nothing" sound than anyting else.<br />Take a look at the Sony ECM series tieclip mics and time-tested handheld mics like the ElectroVoice 635A. Go to <a href="http://www.markertek.com">www.markertek.com</a> broadcast supply house for the right cables to connect anything to anything.</p>

<p>Bill,</p>

<p>Thanks for the advice. I think I'm up-to-date on my Canon firmware, but I'll check to be sure!</p>

<p>Craig,</p>

<p>I'll look into your suggestions. Supposedly the Opteka VM-200 is great for what I want to do with film, and is the best I can afford right now. I might look into a shotgun mic on a boom, since I would like to do short films once I get a handle on the new equipment.</p>

<p>Thanks, guys!</p>

<p>Kyle -- If money is a concern (and it always is) the EV 635A and the entry-level Sony ECM tieclip mike are professional gear at about the same price at the Opteka. Good shotgun mikes,unfortunately, start at at least twice that price and you need the boom as well and of course it takes a separate person to operate. Just beware that anything mounted on the camera short of a shotgun mic simply isn't going to pick up quality sound from a person more than 2-3 feet away.</p>