Very slow Sony 64 XQD card download (Z6)

Jean-Claude

It took me +/- 30 minutes to download via card reader the 1214 pictures registred on this card (64 gigas)

It takes far less with 64gigas SD cards in my Nikon D610.

Why this huge difference and how download XQD card faster?

Thank you for your precious help.

I suspect the no-name XQD reader could the culprit. I am not an expert on card readers, but have experienced that a good reader is faster than directly from the camera.

My experience stems from an Z6ii with a 125gb Sony Tough CFexpress card. Download speed improved greatly when I started using a well reviewed ProGrade reader. I thought it was expensive for "just a reader", but since I also needed something to read SD UHS-II, I bit the bullet and I have not regretted it.

• Like 1
Niels

Maybe somebody builds card readers just up to USB2 specs, as indicated by your download time? The color of the plastic inside the plug could give a hint, USB3 would be blue.

My USB slot is not blue, so USB2.

How can I make it faster? Change reader I guess?

I suspect the no-name XQD reader could the culprit. I am not an expert on card readers, but have experienced that a good reader is faster than directly from the camera.

My experience stems from an Z6ii with a 125gb Sony Tough CFexpress card. Download speed improved greatly when I started using a well reviewed ProGrade reader. I thought it was expensive for "just a reader", but since I also needed something to read SD UHS-II, I bit the bullet and I have not regretted it.

What is the name of that reader and to which price please? You have an USB 2 or 3 slot?

For a while I had very slow upload speed from a CFexpress card reader. It turned out to be the USB cable I used. With a different cable, the speed was much faster.

Sounds like it is among your USB port, cable, and card reader.

Edited by ShunCheung
  • Like 1

What is the name of that reader and to which price please? You have an USB 2 or 3 slot?

The product name is ProGrade Digital CFexpress/SD, and I payed around €100 (less now) but you can’t use this particular one for XQD. You have to do some research for one that has proven good performance with XQD.

The one I mention above has USB 3.2 gen 2 with USB-C out and cables to connect with both USB-C and USB-A.

How long would it take more or less downloading directly from the camera? I guess less than 30 minutes?

Thank you !

I can't guess how long it takes to download directly from the camera to your specific computer - it is easy for yourself to test, but with a quality cable connected to my Z6ii I don't think I ever experienced anything approaching 30 min download time directly from the camera.

Edited by NHSN
Niels

A test that would cost nothing - connect your camera to your computer and download directly from the camera. If loading from the camera is faster than the card reader, you have your answer- the problem is the card reader. If not, it is either the card or the computer.

You write your computer does not have "blue USB ports" This would suggest your computer is limited to USB 2 - 480 Mb/sec. What type of computer do you have? It is relatively easy and inexpensive to add USB 3 capabilities to a Windows desktop computer.

You are right !

A test is on the agenda tomorrow morning with both cameras and 2 different type of cards (XQD qnd SD Extreme Pro.

Download in both cases with chronometer, say 100 picyres tale high speed trough the window. Will post results.

My computer is very good but no USB 3 (built on mesure 2012). I didn't know I could add a USB 3 slot. Will contact the guy around the corner.

Thank you very much !

In 2012 I added this card to the computer I build in 2010 to get USB 3.

LINK; DP USB 3.0 4-Port PCIe i/e (siig.com)

It worked like a charm with all my external disks/SSD/Thumb drives/Card readers. Because the PCIe slot cannot provide the maximum power required for the two USB 3 slots combined, there is a provision to connect a SATA power cord from the computer power supply to the card for the extra power (probably not needed for you card readers). When I connected the USB 3 connector of my Corsair K70 keyboard to this card and the USB 2 connector on the keyboard directly to the motherboard, I created a ground loop. Oops. Since the USB 2 port on the keyboard was provided to connect the mouse, I simply disconnected the USB 2 keyboard connector and connected the mouse directly. No more problem. After that everything ran trouble free for the next seven years, when I replaced the computer.

• Like 1

I took the Z6 and shot high speed 316 RAW pictures on my 64 (Sony) XQD card and downloaded first via XQD reader. Total: 9 minutes.

Then I took the same card with those 316 pictures but downloaded via camera and cable to my PC. Total : 13 minutes (4 minutes more or roughly 50% more !)

The camera download is VERY SLOW !

Finally I took my D610 and shot 140 RAW pictures and downloaded via my usual SD card reader. Total : 2 minutes (or +/- 4.5 minutes for 316 RAW pictures)

This means that the SD cards are twice faster to download than the XQD cards, at least on my USB 2.0 slots.

The question now is: will I be able to download the XQD cards faster if I ask for USB 3.0 slots to be placed on my computer?

Thank you !

I took the Z6 and shot high speed 316 RAW pictures on my 64 (Sony) XQD card and downloaded first via XQD reader. Total: 9 minutes.

Then I took the same card with those 316 pictures but downloaded via camera and cable to my PC. Total : 13 minutes (4 minutes more or roughly 50% more !)

The camera download is VERY SLOW !

Finally I took my D610 and shot 140 RAW pictures and downloaded via my usual SD card reader. Total : 2 minutes (or +/- 4.5 minutes for 316 RAW pictures)

This means that the SD cards are twice faster to download than the XQD cards, at least on my USB 2.0 slots.

The question now is: will I be able to download the XQD cards faster if I ask for USB 3.0 slots to be placed on my computer?

Thank you !

No-name products are usually "no-name" for a reason. For all I know the no-name XQD reader is likely the problem.

I wouldn't install a new USB port before I had tried a quality reader. After all, Transcend normally makes fine products - and who knows what is inside your XQD reader that no one wants to put a name on?

Anyway, for reference. How long does it take to download 316 RAW pictures from the D610 camera?

Niels

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, EllinorWilliam said:

Replace it with a Class 10

I'm guessing the OPs SD card description of..

SANDISK 64 EXTREME PRO 170 MB, 3, 10

Is a Class 10 Card! Which I think is a V30 video class.

However, I've re-read everything above (I think!) and cant see the XQD card description.. what are they? There are some shockingly SLOW cards from early XQD days.

PS. I know SONY 64 XQD is in the title, but what spec does it have?

Edited by mike_halliwell

These links may help explain all of the geek stuff involved with ports, cards, etc.

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/buying-guides/the-best-memory-card-readers

https://www.popphoto.com/reviews/best-memory-card-readers/

https://recompute.co.zw/buying-guides/a-complete-guide-of-every-type-of-computer-port/

https://www.indeed.com/career-advice/career-development/types-of-computer-ports

My Sony CF Express Type B/XQD  card reader comes with two cables, a USB-C and a USB type A cable. USB 3.1 Gen 2 interface. It is fast, 10 Gb/s. I use it with the USB-C cable when I download images from my Nikon Z9 to my computer.  While I have not timed downloads, I can download 1000 RAW images in about 1-2 minutes.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1532007-REG/sony_mrwg1_t1_cfe_b_xqd_card_reader.html

I also have another Sony XQD/SD card reader for XQD and SD cards. It may no longer be available.

Anytime you experience slow download speeds, you need to check the port on the computer, the card reader and the cable that attaches the card reader to the computer. 

Download times today with a Sony Card reader MRW-G1 attached to a win 10 laptop to a USB-C port cable.

Nikon Z9 RAW files.  1866 files. 107 GB. 6 min 12 sec. Sandisk Cf Express card Extreme Pro, Read  1700 MB/s  Write 1200 MB/s

Nikon D850  RAW files. 708 files.  47.0 GB. 3 min 19 sec. Sony XQD card with Read speed 440 MB/s and Write speed 400 MB/s.  

• 2 weeks later...

Out of curiosity I just checked the reader speeds for both my XQD and CFtype B cards, both readers are USB 3.1 etc to a 2020 Macbook Pro. I also copied the same files.

Files: 745 Z9 RAW files, 40 GB total.

Sony G 64GB - 2 minutes 18 seconds

CFExpress 160GB Cobalt - 1 minute 40 seconds.