Verifying scanner operation

<p>I've been using an Epson V600 flat bed for a number of years on color negative and positive film and BW also. I'm suspecting that I'm not getting the best scans any longer; that the machine may be out-of-calibration.</p>

<p>Is there a way to verify its operation? Any charts that you can use to scan? Thanks. Alan.</p>

<p>Well, I've been looking at other scans with my scanner and the V550 on Flickr and elsewhere. And others photos seem to be a lot sharper than mine. Even others 35mm vs my 120 format. I don't think my latter scans are as sharp as the ones I took before. I used the Better Scanning holder but have not noticed any difference than with the Epson holder. (My film is very flat; I have them developed by a lab.) </p>

<blockquote>

<p>How would I do that? I'm using Epson Scan. Does that make a difference?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Some scanners come with a target and software to create a scanner profile. IF the behavior changed, a new scanner profile should account for this and, it's possible to analysis the two profiles to determine if there's an indeed a difference. <strong>Or</strong>, scan something you scanned years ago, ideally with identical settings and see if they visually match. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>Scanners gas out which leaves a residue on the under side of the bed glass, the mirrors, lens, and sensor.<br>

A colored line across the scan usually forms once the fogging reaches a level.<br>

Epson scanners take 3 to 4 years before needing a basic cleaning.<br>

Start by cleaning the under side of the bed glass and possibly the mirrors and front of the lens.<br>

Start a scan of any type and pull the power plug from the scanner once the scan mechanism has moved at least 1 inch from its home position. Disconnect the transparency adapter plug at the rear of the scanner then lift the lid up and off the base. Remove the two screws at the bottom of the lid hinge slots. Lift up on the rear of the cover then release the clips at the front and disconnect the switches at the scanner base.<br>

The scan mechanism can now be moved as needed and if pushed to the home position will lock in place and not move until powered up and a scan started. Reassembly is difficult with the scan mechanism in the home position due to alignment of the transport lock. The scan mechanism will return to the home position the next time power is applied.</p>

<p>Cleaning the mirrors requires some disassembly of the scan mechanism block. Do not remove the sensor unless absolutely necessary as realignment of the sensor will be required.<br>

Epson has reworked its site. Check the service providers that list in your area or region. One provider in Oregon had a web site and pdf of the scanner breakdown with part numbers which may help in disassembly.</p>

<p>Care must be taken to eliminate dust inside the scanner on reassembly and streaks on the underside of the glass, mirrors, and lens.</p>