Velvia Picture Style

vernon98034

<p>I like the old Fujichrome Velvia 50 very much and would like to have the same highly saturated effect with my Canon DSLR. After some online searching, I find a version of Velvia picture style (<a href="http://members.shaw.ca/kinematic/picturestyle/Velvia_pf2.zip" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">members.shaw.ca/kinematic/picturestyle/Velvia_pf2.zip</a>). I test the PS and find all shadow areas turn into blue. That isn't how Velvia would represent grey. I am wondering there maybe other versions of Velvia picture styles. Anyone know where to download any other Velvia picture styles? </p>

<p>You have a problem. Velvia responds differently to different conditions. There is no fixed "recipe" you can adopt to turn your digital shots into something that looks like Velvia. It would be a question of assessing how Velvia might perform in a specific set of circumstances and setting your camera to reflect that. Velvia 50 has a tendency to pick up small nuances in the colour of light and convert those into much more visible shifts, especially when light levels are low. </p>

<p>This question has been asked on Photo.net before with the general conclusion (IIRC)that there's not a really successful way of getting this done on a broad brush basis that reflects the way Velvia reacts to a wide range of light conditions. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>So, the current digital camera technology isn't smart enough to emulate how a film renders colours.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I think this might be over-stating the case, at least a little. Let's just say</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The current <em>users of</em> digital post-processing technology aren't smart enough to emulate how Velvia film renders colours.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I strongly suspect it <em>can</em> be done, by some clever person, someday. In the meantime, just follow Bob Atkins's advice. :)</p>

<p>I might put it another way. The way Velvia renders colour and saturation is so variable and unpredictable that its rather complex to describe, never mind create an algorithm to mimic it in a digital camera. I used Velvia for probably 90% of my colour work for about 12 years- using many thousands of rolls in the process. And after all of that I still sometimes got a surprise when I saw how Velvia 50 rendered certain scenes. And when Fuji discontinued Velvia 50 temporarily they were not able to launch anything with even similar treatments of colour and saturation to replace it and were eventally forced to relaunch RVP. If Fuji couldn't replicate Velvia themselves I think its very understandable that camera/other software developers would find it tough - assuming of course that they wanted to do so sufficiently to try.</p>

<p>I have to say that as a historically fairly committed user of Velvia , I'm enjoying the ability to exert more control over what a scene looks like in terms of colour and saturation rather than play the Velvia lottery all the time, and having to fret , when looking at a particular scene, whether Velvia or Provia or whatever would be a better choice. </p>

<p>I found that using Vibrance controls got me very close to Velvia results. It targets the blues and greens, leaves the skin tones alone</p>

<p>In Lightroom you can find it under the basic section for Development<br>

In PS - you can find it under Image/Adjustments</p>