indicating that Fuji are planning to re-launch Velvia 50 in the UK due to

popular demand.

http://theonlinephotographer.blogspot.com/

Even though the Velvia 100 seems OK, I'm getting a little fed-up with my

favourite manufactuters withdrawing support for what I think are the best

tools for my type of photography. Hasselblad have re-launched their Forum

magazine for digital photographers, asking for submissions from digital

workers only. This, following their cessation of the XPAN manufacturing and

obvious lack of interest in the product that made them famous.

For the Americans on the site, I'm intruiged by the difference in marketing

strategies between UK and US, for example the difference in some Mamiya

product availablity. Are the markets any different, normally its the UK (being

the smaller market) that gets the sh*t end of the stick.

Hi,

I feel very heartend by this news, and perhaps it comfirms what I've been hearing, namely that sales of professional level 120 film have at least stabilised and may even be on the up.

As for marketing strategies, my main complaint is that we in the UK are usually asked to pay about 70/90% more for the same product than those living in the USA. Higher taxes are only part of the reason why this is the case, I think its also that manufacturers can get away with it.

Stephen

Rich -

That statement was a joke, right? You've got to be joking.

Film is not going to die anytime soon. A well exposed 35mm transparancy will kick any DSLR's ass, full-framed or not. 35mm won't be as common as it used to be, no. But medium and large formats are much higher quality. Film and digital each have their own purpose. Every professional (as well as learned amateur) photographer knows that even a 4x5 view camera is higher quality than any 40MP $40,000 digital back. How about an 8x10 sheet? 30x40?

Regardless, film is not going away and I think that Fujifilm has made a GREAT choice bringing back Velvia. I can't wait!

The questions about relaunch of Velvia 50 are answered on the Fuji web sites. Right now

it is tentatively going to be called Velvia II @ ISO 50 and reportedly will produce the same

results as the former Velvia 50. Here is the UK press release; the US one is similar but

mentions the name Velvia II.

Professional Photography

Fujifilm announces re-introduction Velvia 50

Announcement Date: 07 November 2006

Fujifilm Professional is delighted to announce that the company is planning to re-launch

Fujichrome Velvia 50 into the UK market.

Production of Velvia 50 was halted at the beginning of 2005 when vital raw materials used

in the production of the emulsion became unavailable. The re-launch of Velvia 50 is a

further illustration of Fujifilm's continued commitment to the production and promotion of

professional film.

Russ Gunn, Fujifilm Professional Product Manager, made this comment: "We have received

many requests from photographers to restart manufacturing, as they had used Velvia 50

for many years and consider it unmatched in terms of quality and character. One of

Fujifilm's main priorities is to nurture the culture of photography, so we have been

reviewing the possibility of restarting production."

Gunn continued: "In response to these requests our research and development teams have

been working hard to develop substitute raw materials and new manufacturing

technologies that enable us to restart production of this famous emulsion. We are

planning to re-introduce the new Velvia 50 in the spring of 2007. The characteristics of

the new emulsion will mirror that of the previous product. Many photographers were

understandably upset when we were forced to withdraw Velvia 50, and we are delighted to

be able to announce its re-introduction."

An announcement of specific details, including price, formats and availability schedule will

be made as soon as they are available. The existing range of Fujifilm Professional films will

remain unaltered.

For further information, please visit www.fujifilm.co.uk/professional

or www.fujifilm.com/professional

Almost forgot- - - I think it is on the US Fuji web site where the company mentions the

reintroduction is due to the demands of professionals and initially the film will be produced

in 120 size and 4x5 sheet film, then 35mm.

• 3 weeks later...

You can still buy the original Velvia (ISO50) in Japan, but it won't last long.

According to Fuji Japan information, due to the lack of a certain raw material (maybe they decided to use it in priority for their new business line, <a href="http://and-fujifilm.jp/index.html?bnr=quick">cosmetics & medecine</a> :-), manufacturing has been halted and the stocks are running-out. However they are developing the Velvia 2, having exactly the same characteristics as the original Velvia. It should go on sale in spring 2007.

Thanks Fuji, this is a real nice decision (mind you, they did not have real choice : Japanese are very quiet people, but depriving a Japanese landscape photographer from his life-long cherished Velvia would be a suicidal move :-)