Velvia 50 to be discontinued!

david hirschberg

According to a Fuji Representative at a recent lecture, Fuji will be

discontinuing Velvia 50 and replacing it with a new version

called "velvia 100S".

The "S" is for a saturated version similar to the famed 50 while

having the grain quality and speed of the new 100.

The new film also promises better scanning qualities.

I really hope they nail this.

I hope the new 100S has color balance similar to RVP 50 and contrast the same or maybe a bit lower. I tried Velvia 100F several times, from 35mm to 4x5 (I'm now using 8x10 however), and I can't stand it overall.

I'm not that happy with Provia 100F, but prefer it to Velvia 100F - which I find to give harsh results in high contrast situations (worse than RVP 50, strangely enough). In contrastier light or where I don't want the ultimate color saturation I prefer to use Provia rather than the RVP 50. I've tried Astia 100F, which I like, EXCEPT for most landscapes, which is what I do mainly. Well I hope 100S has better color balance than Provia 100F - towards nature of RVP 50. I could live with a bit less saturation than RVP. But if 100S is the same saturation as RVP, but without the disadvantages in color balance and contrast qualities of Veliva 100F it could prove to be a very interesting product!

i think (and that is not worth much in the photography market) that kodak reposistioned its products right out of the market.. i belive kodac 64 was and still is one of the greatest slide films ever made, altho not available.. .. i had my own wedding done with it, probably from ignorance, it was shot by my brother in law with canon a1 on auto flash and i still have the photos that are very very good, and hard to duplicate for me now. my brother in law had almost no slr experience. its very foolish for fuji to drop a film for another before its been available on the market, and a huge dropoff for the velvia has been noticed.. they are opening themselves up for photographers to search for other products made by other manufactures to seek another 50 that they would like.. dave

When in New Zealand in the late 1980's ; we had some trial pre market Velvia; which somestimes was abit wonky; skitish; brash; too saturated. It was fun to hear NZ chaps call it "Velveeta"; like Krafts non real cheese. Velveeta came out in 1928. <BR><BR> <a href="http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/pictoria/a/4/1/doc/a41165.shtml"><b>"Fowler, Lyle 1891-1969 photographer.

Kraft Cheese delivery van advertising "Velveeta", "Vegemite" and "Kraft Cheddar" [picture]

Date(s) of creation: [ca. 1953]

2 negatives : flexible base ; 20.3 x 25.4 cm. approx.

Use of this image in publication will incur a royalty fee.

Accession Number: H92.20/4505

Image Number: a41165"</b></a><BR><BR>Maybe Kodachrome is "Vegemite" ? :)

Vegemite is, and I am entirely serious here, the residual sediment from the brewing of beer. Basically, it's made up of the wheat, barley, hops and yeast that aren't used up in the brewing process and that have subsequently sunk to the bottom of the vat.

Aussie's put vegemite on toast and eat it with tea for breakfast.

I really doubt it will have tighter grain than V50. That is just more "industry speak" to justify killing one of the top 5 designed films of all time. It may very well end up with the finest grain of any 100 ASA film but that will not compare to the 25 and 50s we've already lost, not to mention this possible latest fatality. Dohhh!

"...don't take my...Velvia?...away"

Firstly, Reps of photo companies tend to be the least reliable and most uninformed of sources around (Bob S. apart, but then again, he's more like a honorary chairman or something rather than a rep).

Secondly, there's so much C**P out there at the moment regarding the death of certain films etc, you'd be a fool to belive any of it until it actually happens. Velvia is a very popular product with a 'film' based following (really the sort of guys who are making a living out of shooting this stuff are not shooting digital).

Thirdly, the Velvia 100 available in Japan is quite a nice film - maybe not quite as saturated as RVP50, but not too far off - certainly a huge improvement on Velvia 100F. Unfortunately, it is not available in 4X5, but I have shot quite a bit of it in low light situations and it has dramatically improved reciprocity charateristics over RVP 50. If it were around in 4X5 and a little easier to buy (I have to rely on wife's business associates), I'd use it more.

There's room for improvement - the reciprocity charateristics of RVP50 are poor - give us a slightly faster emulsion which behaves like Provia with long exposures and there'd be no complaints from me.

All rumour mongers should be flogged and forced to survive till the end of time with nasty consumer digicams in a world with no forums.

Hey, where are the side ads for Vegemite? "Buy Vegemite half price on eBay now!!!"

Maybe Kraft are dropping it for the Vegemite 100s? Maybe Canon are releasing digital Vegemite?

Happily, rumours that it tastes like sh!t are all false - it really is bewdiful on toast for breakfast, especially after a night on the turps ....

Kodak 100VS is a great alternative: 1 stop faster and much more forgiving to exposure compensation. Unless I am mistaken it can take 10 seconds without compensation and the colours are very similar to Velvia 50. Tried the Velvia 100 and did not like it. Provia 100F @ 125 is not bad.

Love vegemite: and the beer it comes from!!!

Mark (Denmark in West Aust)

• 7 years later...