VC-9 two versions?

neven_marcelic

The VC-9M was lighter, but not by much. Would you notice the difference when attached to a 9 body? I doubt it, unless you're real sensitive, or you put one in one hand and the other in the other hand. As for preferring one over the other? If they were the same price, go with the lighter one. Otherwise, I'd go with whichever was cheaper.

I forgot to add- The Dynax/Maxxum 9 and VC-9, can hold three sets of batteries. If you're concerned with weight, why not remove one or two sets of batteries, if you're have all three sets installed? You can take a lot of pictures using only one set. Or, instead of using AA alkalines, use lithium-ion batteries.

Thanks for your feedback Robert, my logic exactly. I was wondering what the justification was for the price diference. These are listed @KEH and the M version is $50 more than the steel (without the Hc-1 handstrap mind you). I know the handstrap is an included piece when the item is new. Interesting that you say not much difference in weight, perhaps it's just a cost cutting measure?

Neven, I think it is case of what the market will bare. I looked at a couple of B&H ads for the VC-9M. In the Nov. 2004 ad, they wanted $209.95, and in a March 2006 ad, the price was $199.95. K/M's Suggested Retail was the same on both version. And I believe the change was to complement the introduction of the 9Ti.

Robert, Ah yes- the Titanium rolls royce deluxe, launch rockets,make toast version. I should've guessed. Thanks for the bit of research on MSRP $$. That makes sense, somewhat lighter body,grip follows suit.

As to an earlier question: No,I won't be filling the grip chock full of batteries; the grip is needed for my large hands.

Greg I suppose you like the extra weight for stability? I would figure it'd help with a 70-200 G (future purchase) as a counterbalance.