VC 35mm f1.4 Nokton

tony_f.1

I am thinking of buying the VC 35mm f1.4 that just recently came out, and I am not sure whether or not the quality is good or not. I did

some research, but didn't come across many reviews.

I plan on using it on M7 and M8, and I tend shoot mostly B&W (film) or raw on M8 and convert it to b&w in lightroom.

Any suggestions as to whether or not the lens is good, or not, and if so, should i get the Single coat or Multi Coat.

Thanks for suggestions.

Tony

There has been a good deal of discussion of this lens; look a bit harder, and you'll find plenty.

Here are a few threads from that other site:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52984

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55444

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=869370

I think Sean Reid raised some concerns about focus problems with this lens on the M8, but I don't subscribe there.

VC is variable contrast. CV is Cosina Voitlander

Multi coat will more closely match modern lenses.

SC for people who want to make more old fashioned looking black and white in film in a conventional darkroom. There is

not a whole lot of difference.

The real step back in time is to non coated. That is a giant step.

For the reports that I have seen the lens is overpriced. The CV 35mm F1.2 is really well thought of and probably worth the price and size difference. Not so much for the added speed but the overall performance. Go look at examples on Flickr on both lenses and reviews you will see what I mean. I have no dog in the fight here since I own the Leica 35mm f2.0 pre asph. If I needed a fast lens the F1.2 would be my baby.

This is an small, excellent, sharp, modern 1.4 lens that works well under many different circumstances.

The 1.2 offering is a superb lens, but it is huge, more expensive, and blocks a lot more of the viewfinder.

If you spend a lot of time looking at the out-of-focus areas of your photos rather than the IN focus areas, then you MIGHT see a difference between this lens and the 1.2 or the Leica Summilux. OTOH, I have seen tests where it's very hard to tell the difference between the 1.4 and the 1.2.

It is not overpriced if you consider the price of the Summilux.

Mohir Ali is right. I went for the 40/1.4 because of the extremely good price. I couldn't afford either the 35/4 or a Summi-something.

I think Cosina knows that the 35/1.4 is a direct competition to summicrons and summiluxes, so the lens is priced accordingly. Still, compared to either of the Leica lenses it's a bargain, and from what I've seen on the internet, the quality is very very close.